312 Gallon Tank Build

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Im using a hammer head pump as a return which is rated at 5800 gph. That in turn is going through two 1.5" seaswirls that will each handle 3,800 gph. Now here is the tricky part. I am going to loose some pressure due to having to pump water about 5' up. What the flow rate coming out of the seawirls is going to be im not sure. Im going to guesstimate around 4000 gph. So the coast to coast over flow is split into two separate chambers. Each chamber will feature a bean animal overflow made of 1.5" pvc. Figured each overflow will handle 1,500 gph. So with two that will be 3000 gph. This gives me 1000 gph in theory that the overflow might not be able to handle. So i can either dial the pump down, or as the bean animal design it would push more water through the secondary pipe hopefully absorbing the entire 4000 gph. We will see what happens once the tank is up. Ill be running it a couple of days with just fresh water to test for leaks and play with flow rate.

Sorry! I forgot you already said that! Can't wait to see how that works for you! makes me want to go bigger too!

Peppie i was thinking about doing a T to run other equipment off of the main return line, like my calcium reactor and my media chambers

Sorry! I forgot you already said that! Can't wait to see how that works for you! makes me want to go bigger too!

Thats no problem, im hoping it all works out too! Im kinda betting on my 20 years of being in this hobby to avoid most pitfalls

The down side of using your main return pump for any type of reactor is that if you turn it off for feedings etc... it allows media to settle/pack or CO2 to build up each time you do so. I initially plumbed a manifold to run different reactors as well then scrubbed it to run an excess pressure line (beyond the 850gph that 3/4" SeaSwirl will allow) to a Loc-Line nozzle and other with ball valve and hose barb for a water change outlet (pump 30 gallons out quickly) I still have not hooked my Phosban reactor back up after 15 months but probably will do so soon. Anywho.... just my $ 0.02

Cheers, Todd

I dont plan on adjusting the pump for feeding or anything else. I want it to run wide open 24/7. I was going to T off it and have couple of ball valves that would go to different reactors (ie calcium, gfo / carbon) Would that work?

I dont plan on adjusting the pump for feeding or anything else. I want it to run wide open 24/7. I was going to T off it and have couple of ball valves that would go to different reactors (ie calcium, gfo / carbon) Would that work?

as I'm sure you are aware the problem with this is dialing them all in for the right amount of flow/pressure. as soon as you open one a bit you take away pressure from another. What I have done is first you need to t-off as close to the pump as possible and then put a valve on both intake and ouput side of the reactors, the intake valve is adjusted to provide the max pressure the reactor will handle ( could be wide open) and the output valve adjusts the actual flow through the reactor. I use it on a brs dual carbon reactor and the flow stays constant through the life of the carbon.

aaah awesome idea thank you for the heads up on the valves at the end
also here is a pic of the back and side glued
IMAG0336_zps503ac863.jpg

I run 2 mp 60 plus hammerhead at 6000 ghp in a 450 both 60 run at full tank is 96x36x30 4x3x3 sump

The sump is done, it has probe holders, filter sock holders, baffles, heater holder, effluent chamber with ph probe holder.... tank is getting closer too, just got to attach top and bottom
IMG_0703_zpsb1ed5cc3.jpg

IMG_0702_zps884dd80f.jpg

IMG_0701_zps3999c555.jpg

Looks really good.
Sump design is awesome. I like the heater brackets (i think i just may use that idea)
Wont be long now.

That's one damned good looking sump. Now I'm inspired to build a heater bracket for mine. I have three glass heaters and don't care to have them just lying around bouncing off of each other in a glass sump. Keep us posted with the tank.

Thank you guys! The sump did turn out really nice. Im happy with it, now just to get the tank done

Yes, absolutely turning out to be a Beauty of a Build Thread. Definitely some great ideas on the sump construction worth emulating.

Cheers, Todd

I run 2 mp 60 plus hammerhead at 6000 ghp in a 450 both 60 run at full tank is 96x36x30 4x3x3 sump

I went with the mp 40s because i am thinking ill get enough flow on the return (hammerhead also) through the two 1.5" seaswirls. I have been talking to another guy and he thinks if i set it up right i can get a gyre effect going and have a nice nutrient suspension to flow out of the tank into the sump where the skimmer will pick it up

Looks really good.
Sump design is awesome. I like the heater brackets (i think i just may use that idea)
Wont be long now.

yes im a big fan of the heater brackets too lol My heaters have alway just layed in the sump... not anymore! lol

Wow. That is a beautiful sump, very very nice. I will definitely be incorporating those heater holders into my build, and the filter sock holders are sexy. If RF had a Sump of the Month prize, you would definitely be top running.

Back