312 Gallon Tank Build

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

stylaster

Well im starting a new tank to replace my existing 120 gallon system. I am having built a 5'x5'x20" acrylic tank. The system is going to be setup for SPS on 5 rock islands surrounded by my chalice collection on the bottom.
There will also be a 112g sump in the garage to run everything.
Here is the current equipment list

Neptune Apex system
Two 1.5" Seaswirls
Reeflo Dart/snapper hybrid
Reef Octopus SRO-5000INT
Two Ecotech MP 40
Korallin C-3002 calcium reactor
4 ecotech radions

Also looking at either two kessil 350w or two orphek pr72 for supplementing the radions

Here is a rough sketch of the system
tank.png

The growing parts pile
IMAG0321_zpsf78ffb8c.jpg

Very COOL, love the dimensions and plans of the DT and will definitely be following this thread.

Cheers, Todd

Thanks guys! Stand is being built this weekend. Should have the tank done by the end of this month. Currently working on how to move 355 lbs of salt in a 55 gallon barrel. Enough salt for 1000 gallons or a couple water changes lol

Another great build to watch here on RF.
Your pile of goodies are top notch!
Who is building your DT?

A great guy in portland oregon. Since the size of the tank we are building it at my house. Having the stand completed this weekend. Then the tank will be built ontop of that. The tricky part will be moving all my corals and rocks from the old 120g to tubs tanks etc. Then move that tank out and put the new one in and plumb everything through the wall into the garage where the sump will be

A great guy in portland oregon. Since the size of the tank we are building it at my house. Having the stand completed this weekend. Then the tank will be built ontop of that. The tricky part will be moving all my corals and rocks from the old 120g to tubs tanks etc. Then move that tank out and put the new one in and plumb everything through the wall into the garage where the sump will be

Is it by any chance John L. ???? envisions??

That sounds like a really great system. Love the dimensions and great use of the MP40's below the overflow. I have seen systems where dry boxes next to overflows have been used for MP40's but I really like layered design. I am excited to tag along.

Yes i wanted the entire back edge of the aquarium to be an overflow. The box behind the overflow will hold dual bean animal setups

Ive have got to ask why are you installing 2 Bean Animals? What amount of flow are you going to run thru your return???

Doing 5,800 gph flow through with 1.5" beans animals. I wanted to make sure that it could handle the volume so we put in two of them
The return is going through two 1.5" seaswirls. So im hoping to achieve a good rate of flow with the two mp 40's backing that up

Last edited:
WOW!! That is some serious flow!!

Are you using 1'' or 1 1/2'' bulk heads for your BA? The 1'' bulkheads will only handle approx. 1500 gph. That would leave you a bit on the short side.

I didnt know that the seaswirls came in the 1 1/2'' size. Just goggled it, Wow $600+ ea? Why not closed loop??

Also couldnt find a reeflow snapper hybrid that produced those gph. The Hammerhead will at about 1' of head. The reason I have brought this up is I have the hammer head for my up coming closed loop.

Doing it all in 1.5", and yes I got the hammerhead hybrid pump. It's going to have a 5' run through 1.5" spa flex to minimize flow loss due to 90 deg elbows. I decided against closed loop for a cleaner looking build

Is your stand going to have plywood shear panels or made of steel? If not I wouldn't trust it for a second. Other than that, it looks like the start to an awesome tank.

I have to agree with Trido,
Your planning and research on your build has been well done. I would hate to see your stand twist and collapse if someone or something fell into it.
I assume this will be in the living room and you may have plans to skin it to pass your wifes approval. If that is the case.... Forget we even mentioned it. LOL

Yes it will be skinned to look nice with a light stain. Infact I'm reusing the old tanks skin on it

Back