400 gallons of saltwater running through my house.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Did it actually climb out of your tank? Or is he still under water in that video?
I have a purple tuxedo urchin. I think they are the same thing. They do a heck of a job on algae. They do tend to knock things over and pick thing up and walk off with them. Mine picked up a poor little crab, cant remember if it was a blue legged or a scarlet reef crab but, carried it around on its back side for a while till I rescued it.
Its always picking up pieces of shells and rubble and carrying it around. Including coral frags!

Last edited:
Did it actually climb out of your tank? Or is he still under water in that video?
I have a purple tuxedo urchin. I think they are the same thing. They do a heck of a job on algae. They do tend to knock things over and pick thing up and walk off with them. Mine picked up a poor little crab, cant remember if it was a blue legged or a scarlet reef crab but, carried it around on its back side for a while till I rescued it.
Its always picking up pieces of shells and rubble and carrying it around. Including coral frags!

Yeah I would look at that as cheap entertainment. I didn't want to rip this guy out of the container so I just put it underwater and let him crawl like a turtle out of it. He's been on the glass eating today.

Yeah I would look at that as cheap entertainment. I didn't want to rip this guy out of the container so I just put it underwater and let him crawl like a turtle out of it. He's been on the glass eating today.

They are actually pretty easy to pick up. Just be gentle with it. If you haven't felt it stick to you, you have to try it once. And if you ever have to rescue something just pull it away slowly. It will let go.

Just don't do what the dude at EcoTech did...

429673_374040642606475_151328168211058_1537357_1076326889_n.jpg

How I Caught My Blue Velvet Damselfish

Thought I would re-post this from my reef blog for everyone to see. So happy! :D

For the past year or so we’ve had a Blue Velvet Damselfish in our refugium. He’s a leftover from when we had an wartskin anglerfish in the tank, unfortunately the anglerfish died and the damsel remained…

Our refugium used to have lots of large amphipods and copepods happily living and reproducing until the damsel was lucky enough to be the only fish in the tank (plus the peacock mantis shrimp). The other night I was cleaning algae out of the refuge and I thought to myself, I really need to get that fish out of there so I can get my bugs back! In the past I’ve used a small size 22-26 flyfishing fly (green or orange scud/shrimp) to catch a few tangs and hawkfish out of the display tank. I figured I’d give it a shot with the damsel!

I pinched some Cyclop-Eeze powder onto the hook, tossed it in the tank and he slammed it! The fly floated next to a piece of algae at the top of the tank so I’m pretty sure he thought it was an amphipod that ventured a little too far out of the green hair algae. So, the damsel swam in jail (in-take refugium) that evening until I could take him into the LFS… were I traded him in on a Virgate or Two Bar Rabbitfish (pictures to come).

He's about 3 inches. I thought he would be shy but he's not. The Achilles wasn't quite happy with the situation for the first day but the rabbit held his own. The rabbit hangs in with the anthias and chromis at the moment.

Yours is bigger than mine was when I got mine. Mine saw the Naso, and hid under a rock on the right side for 2 weeks until he figured out that the Naso was harmless. I would think that you should just keep an eye on the the Achilles and him for a week or so and if the is no aggression, you are good to go.

After the lights went out on the tank I noticed the pincushion urchin (added last week) walking directly over one of the clams. My first instinct was to get in there and pull it off but I decided to wait and see if the urchin did anything destructive. After what seemed like an eternity, the urchin made his way across the top of the clam and on to “greener pastures.” The squami was fine.
icon_smile.gif

The newest additon to the display tank is a Virgate Rabbitfish. He’s been very active feeding and giving the Achilles Tang a run for his money on algae consumption.
icon_smile.gif
As you can tell by the videos, he and the Achilles aren’t quite best buds… yet...

I wanted to post a few follow-up videos from an earlier post on my blog (here) of some creatures in the 90 gallon refuge. I had to move the in-take refugium and found the Brittle Starfish and Worm behind it. I just love finding these little helpers!

A few videos and pictures of our Christmas Tree Worm Rock. The worms seem to be very colorful lately
icon_smile.gif

Back