400 gallons of saltwater running through my house.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

So I’ve been dosing Bulk Reef Supply (BRS) additives to my reef tank for about a year (1st Dosing post). There is one place that I messed up! The water containers that I used to dose my calcium, alkalinity and magnesium solution didn’t “cut the mustard.” Specifically, the alkalinity solution didn’t like the containers and found a way to crack the container and leak, twice. The first time it leaked I wrote it off as my mistake and replace the container with a new one, but I placed a short plastic shoe/boot mat under the containers for future spills
icon_smile.gif
. The other night I looked in and noticed that the plastic shoe/boot mat was full of solution and getting ready to spill over. Luckily it was a small crack, or slow leak, and I was able to catch it. I think I am going to switch to plastic gas cans. Anything that’s made to handle hazardous liquids like gas should be able to handle alkalinity solution, right? The water containers are made out of pretty hard plastic so I think a more forgiving plastic will be better.

I’ve also realized that it’s easier to make a gallon of solution and add it to the five gallon (or whatever size) container as you go rather than make five gallons at a time (duh). So I’m stuck with 1 gallon containers for a little bit until I get new ones.

Hey Devon. We have been dosing the same additives for the last couple of years albeit manually each morning and night. How have you found the dosing pumps tubing to hold up to the solutions? I have heard they degrade rather quickly and have to be replaced regularly but have no first hand experience. It would sure be nice to set it up like yours and forget it, keeping an eye on the parameters with regular testing of course.

Hey Devon. We have been dosing the same additives for the last couple of years albeit manually each morning and night. How have you found the dosing pumps tubing to hold up to the solutions? I have heard they degrade rather quickly and have to be replaced regularly but have no first hand experience. It would sure be nice to set it up like yours and forget it, keeping an eye on the parameters with regular testing of course.

The tubing is holding up very well. I've not had to change any of it. It's a great way to go as long as you regularly test your parameters!

That is really weird about the containers Devon, did you get them from BRS?

The one gallon containers are from BRS. I had problems with a couple 5 gallon Culligan drinking water containers.

I have some of the BRS gallon containers, too, Devon. I have also noticed that the Alk portion of the 2-part drip can take care of/eat through plastic. I had been using milk jugs & just recycling them when they start to leak. I have gotten a hold of a much heavier-duty clear-ish plastic apple juice bottle (I forget the brand) and so far (for over a year), no problem at all. I have been mixing my Alk up in one of these with out any leaks, and using another bottle for the daily drip.

The other day I was putting a rubber band around a container and it flew off, nowhere to be found…

Next day I found it! Somehow it navigated the canopy of lighting and ended up in the tank. Of course it did! Murphy’s Law…

I have not, I was hoping they would respond here as I left the link to this thread.

I would imagine they would just recommend their containers they sell for the 2part. Have those cracked on you Devon?

...nevermind I reread through this thread.

Last edited:
Got an orange pincushion sea urchin from Dan's (Reefmissoula) yesterday. He’s pretty cool to watch.
icon_smile.gif

Back