400 gallons of saltwater running through my house.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Skimmer collection cup overflowing with new filter pads

Last week a strange thing happened when I was changing my filter pads. My Reef Octopus Skimmer’s collection cup began to overflow after I changed out the old filter pads and put the new ones in. This week I thought I would film the process to see if it happened again… it did. I use Marine Depot’sEmperor Aquatics Super Filter Felt 50 micron pads for small particles and Lifegard Aquatics Bonded (blue) Filter Pads for large particles. I think that one, or both, of the pads actually increase the water’s surface tension temporarily when added to the system. The increased surface tension would keep the skimmer’s bubbles from popping. When it happened last week I turned the recirculating skimmer pumps off to see if the water level was running high, but it was normal. Must be the pads. It only overflows for about a minute but that would be long enough to fill up some people's collection containers.

Do any of you use these same filter pads or had similar experiences with other filter pads/media?

When I first used the large filter socks that I got from Dan at Reef Missoula, the same sort of thing happened, very much a ChemiClean-esque event. I just rines the new ones before I use them & it has not happened since...did you rinse the filter pads prior to using them? Makes me thing there was something on the filter socks that got filtered out - yes, a something that increases surface tension.

When I first used the large filter socks that I got from Dan at Reef Missoula, the same sort of thing happened, very much a ChemiClean-esque event. I just rines the new ones before I use them & it has not happened since...did you rinse the filter pads prior to using them? Makes me thing there was something on the filter socks that got filtered out - yes, a something that increases surface tension.

I did not rinse them, probably should from now on though. The filter socks are made out of that same felt so I'm sure that's the culprit.

Couple recent vids.

Our hippy snails, think we got them from Charlie.. jks :)

...and the mantis shrimp feeding

Thats great. I have a couple snails like that.
Boy, those mantis shrimp are agressive little things, aren't they!

I know you are looking for some shoaling fish and found that these are kinda cool looking...Threadfin Cardinalfish

a24-threadfins.jpg

a24-threadfins3.jpg

This is true, I bought 6 two stripe cardinals... down to 1, 5 pajama cardinals... down to 3, 6 green chromis... down to 1. But, it just means I get to add something new every once in a while. :)

yeah, but that hits the pocket book a little to hard for me, I just call it natural attrition.

I think I need to keep my tank a little more busy so the Achilles will spread the "love." He and the rabbit fish are friends..... sometimes.

Back