400w Halide over a biocube? advice please

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

joker577

So I was looking around for a good lighting system for my 29 gal biocube that I repurchased for $50 from a friend... and a guy around my area is offering me a 400w hanging pendant and ballast with a 14000k bulb for only $100. I plan on keeping only acans, SPS, an anemone, and maybe some other small corals, with a few fish of course.

overkill and you will turn that tank into a hot tub

So I was looking around for a good lighting system for my 29 gal biocube that I repurchased for $50 from a friend... and a guy around my area is offering me a 400w hanging pendant and ballast with a 14000k bulb for only $100. I plan on keeping only acans, SPS, an anemone, and maybe some other small corals, with a few fish of course.

Holy crap your nuts!! You will need to buy a chiller, you will need to take sooooooooooo much care when introducing ANYTHING into the tank. Don't plan on having any corals....cause you will COOK THEM!!!!!
Find a different light with lees power.
All you need over that tank MAX is 15o watts.
Sorry, but someone needs to smack you back into reality......
WAY TOO MUCH LIGHT..........
Oh.....sorry, you were looking for advice...
DO NOT GET THE LIGHT, NO MATTER HOW GOOD OF A DEAL IT IS. IT IS SIMPLY TOO MUCH LIGHT FOR THE TANK.
There, hows that for advice???

Last edited:
Lol... someone needs to smack me back into reality? I was asking a simple question because I had a good deal and was just curious, if i do recall this forum is for advice not for people to "smack others back into reality"...

Lol... someone needs to smack me back into reality? I was asking a simple question because I had a good deal and was just curious, if i do recall this forum is for advice not for people to "smack others back into reality"...
Oh, jeez, sorry to offend you. Not intended, don"t get the light, it's too much.
Can't poke fun at anyone around here........

if you go higher you will just be wasting light is all light and power 250 you can get closer and can also get away with a cheap reflector. I have a 250 over my 29 and plenty of others have 250's over there bio cubes with out chillers and issues I would just use a fan to divert a possible heat issue.

Milles, acros, torts, montis, acans, and an anemone are gonna be a the basis for the tank. I just know I used to have a sunpod 150w and it didn't seem to get the job done and i've seen on forums where people put the 150 directly over the water so I had just figured hanging it about 7 or 8 inches above the water might be ok... plus I won't have to worry about the electric bill :D but I guess i'll start looking around for a 250w, opinions still appreciated ;)

If it were me I'd look for a 150 HQI setup for that tank. Definitely not a 400W and probably not even a 250. I'm using a 150W sunpod on my little 20 tall in the garage and it holds SPS just fine. Granted, nothing long term but frags stay in there probably 4-6 weeks before moving to the big sandbox and I've never had a problem.

Mike

it's hard to beat fishneedit for the price. just replace the bulb with whatever you prefer when it's time. I've heard their bulbs run pretty warm compared to most 14k or 20k (speaking strictly on color temp, not heat)

I've got a 250 over my Solana and that's as big as I would go. I have a XM 14k bulb in it and I love the color. I have it hung about 10" over the tank. Any closer and the heat would be too much.

What do you mean Freakin? As far as color temperature that is. Well see the thing is mcoomer is this is gonna be my permanent tank for probably 2 years atleast... I'm a college student right now so my parents want me to keep it small and I found this on fishneedit (thanks Freakin btw) and its lookin pretty good lol. http://www.fishneedit.com/250w-metal-halide-pendant-lig.html

Back