60 gallon frag system build

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

How do you heat that much sand to fill the pipe? How long does it take to come up to temp? Do you use a meat thermometer to get a temp reading?
Will it work with thin wall pvc?
You have got my wheels turning.

Thanks guys,
Pep, I just used a pot big enough to hold the sand that fills the pipe. Heat the oven to 525 degrees and bake for one hour. For thinner walled piping you may want to try 450 degrees.

I can see it now, frankies yard is goig to be filled with twisted falic symbols!!! Might be a side biz in their for ya Frank??? perhaps a trip to the swingers club???

lol

Mojo

Were you able to swindle a pot from your wife for this or did you hit the local Goodwill?
I know I'll have to go shopping.LOL

LOL Mike :D

Have you ever seen a tree in a back yard, in Charleston SC on TV? They usually have jars, pots, bottles and so on hanging from them. (don't ask me why) In NY they would call the cops for hanging twisted pink pipes from the trees, here they give you the thumbs up :D I'm being assimilated!!

Next, instead of saying youz guyz, I'll be saying ya'll~

Hey Peppie, That's my pot since the day she threw it at me, never gave it back :D

LOL! Resistance is futile. You've already cut back on the youz guyz and you don't even know it. :D

Nice job on the return. Hey, maybe I can borrow Lee for a day when I redue my tank. :)

Sorry to be out for so long everyone! I have been working like a horse.

This week is a bit slower so I will be getting some more done on this build.

I have fired up the skimmer and it produced tons of foam just as expected. I will do a video on it before I re mod it again. My thinking is starting to change on skimmers thanks to Mojo~

I have decided not to go nuts with colors and keep all the piping the same color. The green is looking strong for me. I may go blue, not 100% sure yet.

I will get some progress shots up later in the week.

Keep up the good work reefer heads!

Frankie

Thanks for the update

I vote for Bright Green!!!
Im with you Peppie. Everyone on my other board votes for the blue but the green is just too cool. In person it just stands out and says "I'm cool, I'm green!" Reminds me of a cool air intake pipe I saw once on the Dodge forum I'm a member on.

Here's a little project I am working on.

These doors were made around 1860. At least that's when the house was built.

My painter friend tries to remove the paint with paint stripper and scrapers. They were pretty messed up by the time they ended up in my shop. Great painter, terrible wood worker ;)
018-3.jpg

After messing around for a few minutes I realized they needed to come apart and be re-shaped because of all the gouges.
019-1.jpg

Had a few nails to pull
033-2.jpg

The wood was fairly burnt from the stripper.
034-3.jpg

Here you can see the stripper stuck in the grain still burning. I had to get this all out
038-3.jpg

They really dug into it :(
044-3.jpg

045-2.jpg

Lots of "white led" under the trim. This has to come out also or they risk breaking the glass.
046-1.jpg

048-2.jpg

Not much has change in nails over the past 150 years
051-1.jpg

This is what most of them looked like
052-2.jpg
053-2.jpg

After making some tools to reshape the trim it's starting to look pretty good actually.
024-3.jpg

023-3.jpg

I have one door done. When I finish I will update this project. I have about a week to go on them.

Frank

Very nice doors, It looks as though they are old growth fir. Fir is hard and brittle. I'd like to see your trim cleanup/reshape tool.
There are not alot of ways to improve on the design of a nail.{ If it isnt broke dont fix it.} It wasnt to long before those nails were made that most all nails were cut nails. A very different shaped nail.

I had to refinish a bunch of kitchen cabinets not to long ago, I found a wonderful sanding tool call a Sanding Mop. a little spendy but it conformed to all the small details on the trim. I should have bought one years ago. LOL

Your doing a great job. Stain? Clear coat? For Sale? Reframe your home entry?

Pretty cool Guerry! Thanks for the link. I have a nail that is over 200 years old and a spike also from a house I worked on. I'll get some shots of them later for you guys to see. I am always fascinated by stuff like that. I also have some fairly old bungs that I extracted from a house frame in NY. Most of that houses rafters were held together with them.

The doors will be wood in the end. Not to sure of the finish just yet. I need to get some samples together for the customers to look at.

Let's see that sanding mop Pep, I am interested in it.

The tools I made are just pieces of metal shaped to the trim work for hand scraping. The painter tried to do it with a flooring scraper and gouged the crap out of that trim. Basically I have to make new shapes to get the gouges out.

The wood is Heart Of Pine. No Fir in the south east. I did work a lot with fir up north though.

I will see about getting some work done on the aquarium this weekend and getting some updates going. Thanks for following along guys!

Frank

Back