60 gallon frag system build

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Yeah Peppie, my thinking also. Surprised skimmy didn't pop in discuss this topic. That dude is slacking lately! LOL :)

The Precision Marine skimmer is using a 1" gate on there skimmer that pushes well over 1400gph. I contacted them about the clear gate valve they offer for price and am thinking i'll go with the 2" to play it safe.

Yesterday Rhodes came by a job I was coating and helped me move a workbench I bought off the contractor there. Today I am going to clean shop and get things back in order out there so I can do a few more projects.

After a 4 week run like I just went through the place is a mess out there! Load the truck, unload and reload, I was just tossing stuff in and out of there. Made the money though!! :D

The work bench is an oldie but built well and is on wheels and has six big draws. Receptacles all the way around also. Good deal for $50. Heavy though, couldn't have moved it without big Chris
16383.gif

if your talking about a valve for the skimmer, and you dont want a gate valve i would suggest a knife valve, you could easily make one from clear...
pvc knife valve - Bing Images

here's one on a skimmer:
http://www.barrierreefaquariums.com/productCart/pc/catalog/BM160md.jpg

and I think 1.5" is the size you want ...slower flow through the outlet means less bubbles in the sump/display.

also look at the design of this knife valve built into the base of the skimmer:
http://reefbuilders.com/2011/05/26/skimz-leopard/

....and sorry i missed this, I've been very busy re-vamping/upgrading my business...
also, i forgot my password at reefsanctuary so I cant log on to answer the question.
but I would suggest that the owner of the 160 cone try looking in the airline for obstructions, as well as lowering the water level to the very top of the skimmer outlet, not above it. also, the muffler might be set to cut some of the air, ..it should be wide open.

Last edited:
No worries buddy, I was just messing with ya :) You normally don't miss a skimmer question for very long. If you need your password reset just hit "forgot password" and it will email you a new one. Any problems let me know.

Good news! Mike from Precision Marine emailed me back today and has what I am looking for in stock. Gave me a discount too :D

clearpvcgatevalve.jpg

Awesome quality on there builds btw. I have always been an admirer of there skimmers.

I like the design of this gate valve, it will be easy to curve the one side to attach it to the skimmer body the way I want to do it. Most other gage valves are not flat like this one.

What I do is drill a hole the size of the inside diameter in the skimmer body, take some sand paper and wrap it around a scrap 8" tube and sand the curve right into the valve. This will give me a good solid connection.

yup, that is essentially a knife gave valve...
and btw, your bubble plate is sweet too. didnt see the pics when i first posted about the skimmer.
I'll be curious to see how much air injection you get vs. gph of water flow through your modded beckett
when it's done.

Glad to hear you got a real workbench. Mass is a very good thing in my book. That and a flat top.
That (knife valve) Skimmy pulled up was exactly what I was thinking of. Just like a blast gate for dust collection. Sometimes it is just better to buy what you need. More than once I have tried to make something that either didnt work as good or it cost me way more to make than the store bought.
Thanks again for sending out the finish. I will use the semi on my hood, and the satin on Eric's door panels.
I have had good luck in the past with applying finish with a paint pad. The ones you use on a paint edge trim tool, with the little wheels. They have a soft very short nap on them. What do you think? Ive never liked the foam brushes. Doesnt seem to let the finish flow, and I seem to get alot of small bubbles with the foam brushes. Am I not loading enough on there or what?

Hey everyone!

Sorry to be such a blank this week on the site. I have a boat load of jobs going on right now and I need to focus on them and get it while I can.

I should have the gate valve at the end of this week and I will continue the build this weekend with some new pictures and progress report.

Yeah, it looks like a knife valve but it is a gate valve. Knife valves slide up and down with a plunger type handle. Gate valves are turn handle valves.

The difference is the ability for fine tuning. Only a gate valve can be fine tuned precisely, knife valves are more like ball valves when it comes to precision.

Thanks for all the fine comments on the skimmer build! I am just as curious to see this thing in action as you all! Once the gate valve it on I will fire it up and make a video as requested.

Have a great day and see you all tonight! (keep the sump flow thread going! there has been some great input on that thread so far)

Frank

Take all the work you can as it comes in Frankie! RF doesn't pay any of your bills :p. Looking forward to seeing this thing up and running. :)

The gate valve arrived right on time yesterday. Thanks Mike from Precision Marine!

So basically I took it last night and put the curve into one side to fit the 8" tube

059.jpg

I used a scrap piece of the tubing for my shape

062.jpg

I taped a piece of sand paper to it and did it by hand moving back and forth. I started with some 36 grit to get the bulk down and worked it down to 400 grit

063.jpg

Came out pretty good :)

061.jpg

058.jpg

052-1.jpg

It's made pretty well. I dig the clear view of the inside

056-1.jpg

Tonight I will drill the hole and attach it.

BTW, the birds flew the coop! LOL! I had 4 little chicks flying around in my garage when I got home. I helped them get out and they went right to their mother in the tree. :)

023-1.jpg

029-1.jpg

032-1.jpg

That's it for today. I should be able to get the skimmer complete over the weekend and get some testing going early this coming week.

Thanks for following along. Have a great day everyone!

Frank

Thanks Chris and Scott,

Tonight I drilled the new hole for the gate valve. Actually, I drilled a new one for the injector and used the old one for the drain. I was off with that hole by a 16th and it was making me nuts. Now everything is lined up perfect the way I was hoping for.

I need to order new glue tonight for the valve. I am thinking it is just clear schedule 40 pvc, so weldon #40 is what I need. #4 and #16 are for just acrylic and #40 does it all. I like it :)

Next I need to make the injector/pump flanges.

Frank

Sorry for the delay. I am working long hours recently so I will not be online as much as usual for a few months.

Here is a fast update before I go to work.

The skimmer is complete. All I need to do now is hook up the air intake and test it out. I will go to the beach over the weekend and get some saltwater to test this puppy with and try and get a video going.

The clear gate valve came with a ugly prison colored handle with a steel screw inserted into it
031-1.jpg

So I fixed that
040-2.jpg

044-1.jpg

Here is the beckett housing and flanges all done
045.jpg

Heres a quick picture of the entire skimmer. I still need to hook up the air line though.

I took enough pictures to do a build thread on this skimmer so after I test it out and give it the frankie approval I will do the build
006-5.jpg

More to come! Next week is drilling the sump and plumbing :)

Have a great day everyone!

Frank

That's friggin' awsome Frank, and will almost be a shame to gunk it all up with skimate. Can't wait to see your test vids & pics.

Cheers, Todd

Thanks guys! :)

I tried running it on that quietone 3000 in the picture but the air intake was just about to little for my liking. I don't have an air flow meter but after years of running skimmers I know how it should look.

It was very close though. I could probably get away with the next one up (QO 4000) but think I will go for the 5000 and that pushes 1400 gph. KZ uses an Aquabee that runs 1380 gph so the 5000 should be perfect.

The problem is I do not want that high a turn over rate for my return. So I will need to get a flow meter for water and air to dial the system in correctly to get as much raw water through the skimmer as possible.

I'll do a video of it after I get the new pump. Don't want to show off a wimpy skimmer ;)

Yesterday Rhodes came over to help me drill in the return line so plumbing is coming up soon.

I was talking to Mojo about Fish Heads' new rock and think I am going to check it out. I always liked the idea of not bringing in nutrient bound LR for this hobby and wanted to try artificial. Just never liked the look or properties of all the ones before this stuff. Check it out:

Fish Heads’ Real Reef line adds Shelf and Nano Live Rock!

I found it for just about $7 lb but am still looking for other prices. It's not easy to get because Fish Heads' is whole sale only. :(

Good thing I know people :D

I ran 2 quiet One's on my 38 gal for the closed loop (can't remember the model number, but they were rated at like 1508 gph each) and those things got REALLY HOT!!! :flame:. These ones I had were blue pumps. Never imagined a pump could get so hot. Actually scolded my skin so be careful. Hopefully these aren't the same series pumps. It was a few years ago so they probably have better pumps out now. :)

Back