70 watt DIY MH

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Reef Monkey

I'm not an expert when it comes to electrical things so I was wondering if the ballast at the below link would work if I decided to build my own 70 watt MH for my nano tank. If it isn't, could somebody recommend what I should be looking for? I have instructions on how to build my own MH for alot cheaper than buying one and this is the cheapest that I've seen a ballast that could potentially work. Also I've heard the DE bulbs don't run as hot as the single end bulbs, is there any truth to this? Anybody with experience in all things electrical, I would really appreciate your advice in this. Thank you in advance.

Jeff

http://www.ballastwise.com/images/upload/Documents/DXE70HID1.pdf

Last edited:
Couldn't say for sure Jeff...I have both 70w and 150w MH HQI fixtures (Current USA) that ran me in the $250 range, but never tried DIY'ing something like that. Here's a bump back to the top. Hope you get it sorted out:)

Thanks Krish, I was also able to locate a NAIS 70 watt Ballast for a little more than the one that I showed you in the previous link. From what I hear NAIS is one of the better brands for ballasts, am I right?

I use the ballestwise 150 watt It is a great ballast I have had no problems with it. straight forward easy to hook up. I also use a cheap wally world reflector though with the 150's you have to modifie the holders, but back when I bought my ballast from them it was only $29 for the 150 so I went for it.

Back