800Gallon Tall Plywood Tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I finished off the silicone tubes I had and I guess 35 was not enough. I am going to order 24 more to finish this job so I can get the tank filled with water!!!

These are not the greatest but here are some silicone pictures. You can see in the picture some of the spacers I am installing, once I get the rest of the silicone I will cover those. Aslo sorry for the dust and dirt the wind picked up as I was finishing:
DSC_0224.jpg

DSC_0226.jpg

DSC_0227.jpg

DSC_0228.jpg

DSC_0229.jpg

wow what did you use all that silicone on, the walls? lol. looks great man can't wait to see water in it. their is a website called propertyroom.com where all the drug siezure "nursery equipment" is acutioned off. there is a ton of 1000 watt ballasts, bulbs and reflectors for $40 a piece. just fyi.

The silicone is in and has to sit for 2 weeks before I can water test the tank. I am looking at Nov 15th to start the water test. I will be working on getting the outside of the tank protected and a few other things between now and then.

It would be very cool if you had You Tube video of the final steps...showing us the finished product and the after its up and running.

If I understand things right you cannot scrape the back and sides with allot of force like you can with a glass or acrylic tank.

Other than that I guess it's not reallty much different.

Paul

The silicone is in and has to sit for 2 weeks before I can water test the tank. I am looking at Nov 15th to start the water test. I will be working on getting the outside of the tank protected and a few other things between now and then.

Well Ill be smashed that day, Its me Birthday lol

updateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdateupdate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey all, update, over the weekend we put the tank back upright and started a water test. I did have a leak at the bottom. I can not be 100% sure but I think I found the issue. There are two small holes in the bottom of the tank near the back corner. I am not sure if they go completely to the wood or not but when the flashlight hits them just right I see a bright blue which means hole. I filed with them epoxy but the epoxy did not work for some reason today when I checked it the hole was still there. I then took some of the silicone from the panel and filled a large area around and over the holes. Hopefully this was the issue and now it is fixed. I will know in a few days once the silicone dries.
Once I can get it 100% full I will post pictures.

pretty cool! not sure I would be real comfortable though with the holes being at the bottom relying on just the silicone. Is it possible to apply a plywood patch that is epoxied and that entire patch siliconed in?

That could be possible, I plan to add more silicone and in the corner have pond foam which would cover the area.

Last edited:
Back