A 750g SPS system is born

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Yes, they are. The "funnels" are actually a 2"x4" reducer upside down. I wanted originally an external overflow box, but with the use of glass that was going to become a huge risk. I couldn't make the overflow internal becuase the larger euro brace would prevent me from getting my hands inside and putting in or taking out anything.. This was a compromise.

That's looks like an overflow style I might be able to incorporate into my concrete tank. I don't think it looks bad.

Update

UPDATE:

Well, finally got the actuated ball valve wired today. Big thank you to Mike (mojoreef) ofr making me feel stupid and getting me in gear to do it LOL............... I think I had been putting it off for so long because I was a little bit intimidated by it and the wiring with the timer I couldn't figure out. I got some diagrams and pictures today and finally got it done. It was much easier than I thought. I have them set to 10 min. That is, all the close loop water changes every 10 minutes from one side to the other. Both are turning at the same time. The change in flow direction certainly got a tons of debri flying everywhere since the tank had the water going in one direction from the begining and it was obvious some stuff was accumulating in certain spots.. This should keep most of it in suspension now. Water looks pretty dirty now.

I'll see how this works for a couple of weeks. If I am not happy with the amount of flow, I will just take them off line and replace them with another 2 sequence 5800 gph pumps instead. That will definately get things moving.

I already did the first treatment for the red bugs. I will try it again tuesday and then wed the corals go in the big tank. I ordered a bunch of frags and a few things from a couple of online vendors and they will all be here wed. Lots of work for wed night :razz:

When I ran radiums before, I used to ahve problems taking pictures because everything would come out too blue. I am having the same problem now. I will have to sit down and play with the manual setting in my camera. Sifice it to say, it is as crystal white as it gets with a hint of blue in the background. Much whiter with the lumenarc reflectors than when I had parallel reflectors.

Last edited:
Looks Good Alberto.
Why the red Bug treatment? Is this pre-emptive, or do some of your frags have them?
Nick

Hi Alberto,

I remember speaking with you a while back (through pm I think) and you mentioned that your Sequence pumps vibrate a lot. Are they still doing this? I was talking with my brother-in-law over Christmas about this as my 6000's do make a lot of vibrating noise due to where they are placed. He is an acoustical engineer. He said the best vibration dampener out there is neoprene. He said you should be able to order strips of it online. Just thought I would give you a heads up. I think I'm going to go ahead and try some. I even have my pumps sitting on 3 layers of carpet pad and a towel and it still vibrates through the walls.

Travis:

After switching my pumps to the 1000 models, most of the vibration is gone. These pumps are sitting in a sandwich of packing material and rubber sheets used for roofing. I also took the opportunity while they were out to wrap all the pipes in the same rubber stuff and cut out the holes going through the wall so the pipes were no longer resting on them, but rather free floating. It took 98%+ if not all of the vibration away. I also put a little bit of the same rubber material under the impeller assemble as it almost hits the floor too. All you hear inside the house now is the water goin down the overflow, which I am yet to address to amke it much quieter. I have a few simple things in mind to try before I do much of anything involving the pipes themselves.

On another note, the corals look good today after the first red bug treatment. I will dose the second time maybe wed night. I don't see any bugs, but I only want to treat twice, so I'll go with the second treatment anyway. Yes, they had the red bugs.

Also, I am considering seriously to add VHO actinics to the lighting rack. I never did this originally because I had radiums by themselves before and I liked the color just like that. With the lumenarc reflectors, the radiums look much whiter, so I may end up adding some actinic. If anything, the set up will stay there in case I change bulbs later on and decide to add actinics just for color to my eyes. I may not get to that until the weekend though.

Sorry for being to tough on ya Alberto, lol I tried the warm and fuzzy last time and just figured a good kick in the butt should get it done for ya, rofl. Looking good, it amasing what happens just when you randomize the flow.

keep the pics coming. Are these limited editions you have coming??? lol

Mike

Yes, they are limited edition since the frags coming to me are limited to my tank LOL.......................

AcroSteve:

I plan on running the lights about 10 hrs/day regardless of whether I use VHO or not.

Looking just about awesome!
Alberto, can you show us some close up details on your rock work, is it layered, caved, stacked? Just intrested in the beast you know! lol

Scooty:

There isn't much to look at really when it comes to the aquascaping. As you can see in some of the first pictures in page 1, the bottom of the tank has 6 milk crates upside down and then all the branch rock was palced over it to cover it as much as possible. In other words, the rock serves more as a cover and biological filter than anything else.

Unlike a lot of people that spend hours doing aquascaping, to me it doesn't really matter that much in the grand scheme of things since to me they are a biological rack for the corals above it. In the end, I don't want to see rock. All I want to see is a bunch of corals. Since the crates are so open and the branck rock above it is so open too, there is tons and tons of places for fish and water flow to go through.

I just got off the phone with Custom Aquatics talking to him about pumps and he said the owner of Dolphin pumps died a short time ago and that is why it is hard to get things from them now and he thought into the future for awhile.

Alberto, please keep us updated on how you end up addressing the noise of the water flowing down the overflow pipes. I have the same problem with my clam tank in my living room. It has a durso, which eliminates gurgling but I still have the trickling water sound.

If the radiums are even whiter with the lumen arc's then I can see why you would be considering supplementing. I've been thinking mine are too white on my PFO HQI's in spider lights and may supplement for a bluer look. Have you considered T-5's instead of VHO's.

The more I read about T-5's the better I like them.
Nick

I'm converting my IC 660 VHO to the H.O. T5's , I already talked to Andy about that, he said it was a matter of just changing the end caps. They don't have a 60" tube yet, so that is why I don't already have them. From what I've read about them, they are probably the most efficient of the fluorescents, when you add in the heat factors. One thing about my VHO's, they do run cool in comparison to PC & T5.

Back