A 750g SPS system is born

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Dude, I think I would even go with dolphins before I get tunzes. I just cannot get over the sight factor. Don't get me wrong, in my book they are the most efficient way to move large volumes of water. That is if you can stand looking at them. For most people that is not an issue. For me it is the only issue.

Glass is 3/4" thick all over. I think they have 2 different version magnets and the bigger would work with it. Not sure, but I am not going there anyway.

I think overall my problems put me as the extreme minority compared to the number of these pumps sold. I am sure I am 0.01% if that of the pumps sold. However, since I am the one with the problem everyday, so to me the problem is 100%.

I will call them tomorrow. I am done fiddling with these pumps. I just want them replaced.

I ahvte to admit one thing though. When I had the actuated ball valves and the first set of pumps was replaced, I had 0 micro bubbles, leaks, or issues. Here I come wanting to make it better only to have a perpetual headache since.

Wow and I thought my little leaks were bad. Sorry to hear that you are having such a tough time with the pumps. Seems like you have my kind of luck!

dgasmd, I have followed your issues with the sequence pumps since your first post as I find these pumps fascinating and am exploring encorporating one into my own closed loop. I can't even believe the number of problems you have had with them in such a very short period of time. The more I have thought about it, the more I have wondered if maybe there is something special about your closed loop that is overworking these pumps (i.e. some area of extremely decreased diameter, throttling down the pump, etc)?

I can't imagine what that would be, as these pumps should be able to deal with slightly increased resistance or even being throttled down some. As Forestal said above - good vibes your way...

Imo, the Sequence Reef Flo pumps have a cheaper wet end than the 750 & 1000 series pumps. Seems they tried to skimp in this area to lower the price of the pumps.
Not sure which ones you have, but you may want to upgrade. The cost is minimal & the housing is better.

I don't know for sure if the seals are any different, maybe MDM can clarify this.

My local LFS told me they have had a few problems (MDM)with those Reef Flo pumps & are changing the wet end.

the Barracuda pumps are the same pumps as the 1000 series 5800. Same Baldor motor and same 1/3 HP motor. The wet ends were made os some clear PVC/plastic material that was very brittle and would easily crack with vibration and pressure. They have since discontinued those wet ends. The seals are exactly the same in all the different models. The have sent me already the black stronger wet ends, which is the same material used in the 1000 and 750 series. That solved all the leak issues at the intake and out port.

My close loops are all plumbed in and out on 2" PVC and reduced to 1.5" and the intake and out ports as the pumps are 1.5" diameter. In other words, the pumps are the smallest diameter of the entire thing. Don't get me wrong, the pumps work very very well when they are working appropriately.

I have switched all the pumps to new seals and new black (stronger) wet ends and 3 of them work like a charm. 2 are on the close loops and 1 on my chiller.

I spoke with MDM today and they have 2 loaners on the way to replace these while I send these ones to get fixed/replaced/looked at. We'll see what happens when they come back.

Sounds like you have everything covered.........my 750 pump has a gray wet end ,but I'm assuming its the same composite material as the new black ones you have.

Good to hear they already have the changes in progress. Hopefully this will be the last of the problems for you.

Seems like you had a series of problems not only pumps, I guess on a larger scale, equipment thought is very important, guess if anyone is going to run a through test your the one. Is there any issues with increased back pressure because of the 1.5" reduction as compared to using 2" all the way? I thought 1.5" was for the lower volume pumps only. Maybe doing like you said and try two dolphins and see who is boss, wonder if you could exchange them over. I would like to see the long term results, one thing for sure, when you do find something that works, we will all know it was tested well coming from you :D at your expense of trials & headaches. Bummer dude!, more so when it should of been plug & play.

Big E, I think MDM is now making all of their pumps with the black wet ends. I just got a 3200 loaner in the mail last week and it had the black wet end on it. I'm not sure if they are the same material as the grey that originally came with the 750 and 1000 series pumps but it looks and feels the same. I suppose it is easier for them, production wise, to just make all the same wet ends for all of their pumps rather than making different ones.

Scooterman, the Barracuda's that dgasmd is running are rated for medium pressure. They are not the high flow low head pumps like the darts or the 750's. The Barracuda's are 1.5" in and out so as long as the plumbing is at least 1.5" then all is fine. I'm sure these pumps could handle restriced plumbing also. I know of a few people running eductors/penductors off of them without any problems. I'm running my 3200 on a dual beckett skimmer so I don't think dgasmd is overworking his pumps any. I think he has just had a spell of bad luck that is, hopefully, over with so he can worry about other things.

Hey Alberto I just want to thank you taking all these hits for us, as long as you keep getting bombed from left field I feel fairly safe :p :shock:

Just a side thought my friend, having screwed around with the beast for years I have learned that sometimes its time to move away from the hobby source of equipment and look elsewhere for a more industrial or commercial grade peice of equipment. Maybe look to some heavy units that a re pressure rated (check the ones RK2 uses on thier industrial skimmers or sprinkler system units) gear drive are another nice choice. Fight the urge on the tunze bro, you need to give the pocket book a rest and start enjoying this. I will ask around and see if I can come up with something for ya.

Mike

By popular demand, I went and cleaned the glass and took some shots. Most are not even half way decent. One of these days I will get to white balance the camera properly so I can actually show the tank and corals as they trully are instead fo the colors they come out here.

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Alberto,
Your tank is large enough to support a apopulation of several dragon faced pipe fish which are known to eat red bugs off corals. Might be a solution for your troubles .....

A local LFS near me uses them to cotrol the population of red bugs in thier frag tanks...
it didnt exactly help prevent me from getting them, but......they do help.

My tank is too small to really house one of these long term, so I'm stuck with trying to get Interceptor.....

Looks great though!

Nick

Love the pics as well.. Maxx how much interceptor do you need.. I have a few misc cut pills laying around... Let me know and we might be able to end your search

James

Thansk so much for the comments guys.

As far as the pipefish, I have heard about it. However, I have the small matter of 2 certified assassins in my tank. Damm fish are making me upset. There are a couple of certified assassins in the tank now that pretty much will kill everything and anything I add overnight. Bought a
long nose butterfly and a cooperbanded butterfly. The long nose was assassinated by the achilles tang in about 15 min. and the other overnight. Added 3 heniochus butterfly and 2 have been killed already. Added a peppermint hog, orange back fairy wrasse, and a exquisite wrasse. The peppermint was killed overnight and the exquisite the very next night. I think the achilles is killing anything that is round and flat while the yellow fin or mystery fairy wrasse is killing anything elongated. I am thinking I will add 40 green chromis and call it a day. I have lost about $600-800 worth of fairy wrasses and other fish in the last 2 months to these two fish. Needless to say no more fish for a while or until I can get those assassins out. :eek: :eek:

Last edited:
I would have gotten rid of them from the first fish they killed. Sorry you have lost that much in fish because dude that's almost as much as one of my paychecks and I couldn't afford that. :mad:

Coral ID

Hi Alberto I love the shots and boy you have a great Tank I too have had a Achilles tang And he was hell bent on killing every thing in my tank as well had to pull him. Anyway i love this coral and i too have a frag of it i got from sea biscuit could you id for me thanks ...Jeff

Back