Adding on to my system

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Tom,

About the sketch up... as long as you make sure that all lines are squared then you wont have problem closing a face. Make sure that when you draw you have those blue, red and green colors to assist your lines to make them straight.

Cesar

Thanks guys, I figure my thumb will be fully operational in about a week or so. It really was a dumb mistake, I had the saw spinning down and was moving some waste on the backside of the blade. My big ass thumb just got in the way... OUCH. I was cussing like a true military man.

Cesar, I know that part. When I was watching the tutorial they had a tool that 'closed the face' in the event that it didn't automaticaly do it. I have had some problems where the faces are in coplainer but won't close for some reason. I guess I will have to watch the tutorial again.

Well the new overflow went well, I am going out now to cut the teeth. I made a cool jig to do that today too.

Well the overflow is done, I will show a few pix of the process. First I bent the overflow in the post above. Then here is a pic of the overflow after I took it out of the jig. Then a pic of the teeth cutting jig and the router and guide. A pic just after cutting the teeth, and finally the finished product.

The Acrylic with the paper still on it is the jig. I am assuming he had a guard clamped to it for depth of the cut to be equal all the way across.

Ok Detri is right the acrylic w/ the paper on is the jig. Now if you look at the router it has a brass insert in it around the bit. That collar protrudes past the base of the router and rides in the slots on the jig, so you don't really need to clamp anything on besides just the jig to cut the slots as it stops at the bottom of the slot in the jig. Here is another pic of the jig.

Hehe, I completely forgot about the bushings for the bits lol. I should know better lol. I haven't had a good job in 3 years. You forget stuff when your around a 5 year old and 2 year old all day.

Very very nice again and again Tom! Sorry about your thumb. I don't know why I thought it was something that happened to you a while back and didn't realize that it just happened :cry: I know the feeling. I get hacked up all the time at work whenever I'm fooling around with power tools doing custom audio installs. The pain is usually worth it when you see the end results though and getting 1 or 2 cuts with about 2 month long custom setups really isn't too bad:D My friend lost half of his finger in a router...That was some disgusting SH#!. I had to take him to the hospital. Remember guys...Whenever adjusting your router, cut it off or unplug it first!(LOL)
Good luck with the rest of your project Tom!

Overflow turned out nice, cool idea. Hope the thumb mod turned out ok. Personally I think everyone needs a short finger. Mine comes in handy sometimes.

Don

Looks great Tom. I have to agree with Don...My stout finger tips are handy at times. I ripped two off at the same time with a hanger door...not advised...when I asked how many stiches the doc put in he said he doesn't count when it's this many.

Well I decided that I needed a little tank to do the interceptor dips for the new arrivals. I made this 8 gal tank from scraps w/ 3/8" sides an bottom and a 1/2" euro top. It is just a little over built. As soon as I finish typing this I will be out there getting the bottom glued on. It may end up getting plumbed it into the system as a zoofugium. The top of the frag tank is ready to go on, just need to go get some more Weldon tomorrow. I also got the overflow installed on the back of the tank.

Well here is a shot of the little interceptor tank in action. I picked up this RTN colony from the LFS today for free. It still has some nice little frags on it that look like they could be pretty sweet! Also I got the top glued onto the frag tank today. Tomorrow I am getting the piece for the bottom so that is coming along nicely. now to get started gluing together the sump.

Lookin good T, can't wait to see the frag tank complete. When you having tours at the aquarium over there ;)?

Back