AGA 55g tempered sides?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

class clown

Anyone know if the sides of an AGA standard 55 is tempered or not? I tried contacting them recently, but it appears they've been bought out by a company called Aqueon and I'm afraid I haven't had much luck in the Q&A department over there..

just trying to avoid another mishap :D

Ben

I recently purchased one. I called them to ask the same thing. They said that the 55 IS tempered on the bottom, and NOT tempered on the sides. I have not drilled this tank yet, so I dont know for sure, But that is what the manufacture told me. I hope this helps you to avoid breaking another one. Good luck!

tempered sides

the 55 is not tempered i have had no problems drilling one or course theres always a slight chance :)

Hey, what do you know.. I got a final word from the manufacturer too.. Just posting up here in case it helps anyone else in the future...

"Hello Ben,
The sides and back of any All-Glass or Oceanic aquarium will not be tempered, however the bottom will be tempered on a tank that size. If you have any more questions please feel free to contact us at 1-800-255-4527.
Thanks,
Star
Star Wallowing Bull
Technical Support
Central Aquatics
800-255-4527/414-421-9670 Ext 1205"

Wow if that isn't one of the weirdest names ever.

Good luck on drilling the new one, Ben. Hopefully I won't see any chunks of glass on your garage floor on Friday :D

I use an Oceanic 59g for my sump, the sides weren't tempered & drilled it. Bottom had a sticker on it saying it was tempered. I know AGA owns Oceanic but don't know if they are made the same, ease enough to call them though, they are helpful!

EDIT OH I see you got your reply

Thank you guys! Logic- you don't want to go first do ya (he he) :D:D

Sure, I'll go first. But my tank will probably shatter anyway... I think I'm going to make a 36" notch in the top for a coast to coast overflow and about six holes, all in the same pane of glass. We'll see what it can handle...

Sure, I'll go first. But my tank will probably shatter anyway... I think I'm going to make a 36" notch in the top for a coast to coast overflow and about six holes, all in the same pane of glass. We'll see what it can handle...

Woooo. Fun and scary. Best of luck my friend!

Thanks, the tank will need it. I see no reason to not go completely overboard with drilling. If its not exciting, the payoff isn't as great.

Back