(Another) Arduino Light Controller DIY build.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Tagging on this thread as it was the missing link to a few small things I was missing ( breadboard setup ) :0 We'll see what I can do by this weekend.

Hey Katchupoy! I'll definitely let you know by this weekend :) Gonna hit up Metrix tomorrow and if i have to frys to pick up the NPN transister & 1k resister. I already have a arduino, breadboard and some connector wires.

Frys are using NTE parts, so I used the NTE 123a npn transistor. To make finding one or equivalent easier. and also buy some 1N4004 diodes. It may come handy specially when using relays from frys. I just got a bunch of their 3volt coil relays which is perfect for arduinos....

all the best...

Hi Katchupoy

Have tidied up the display wiring. Used header pins, bent out the ones not needed and looped 8 to 13 & 8 to 12.
7bc4b2d1.jpg

71d87489.jpg

When connected as per diagram the POT is now dims when turned clock-wise.
What sketch do I use for the meanwell LPF- 90D- 48 drivers?

Rol.
Thats amazing. May I suggest that next time, you dont need to bent those wires out because that is the beauty of your shield... You can use the screw wings anytime. Its like bending the wires already.

Good job.

For your question. In the version 2 sketch here... Its already coded for 48D. So you are good to go.

Last edited:
Rol.
Thats amazing. May I suggest that next time, you dont need to bent those wires out because that is the beauty of your shield... You can use the screw wings anytime. Its like bending the wires already.

Good job.

For your question. In the version 2 sketch here... Its already coded for 48D. So you are good to go.

Yes thought about that afterwards, but it does help to keep the stack all together or is there another way?
Thanks for the sketch, will try it in the morning as fish are asleep already.
Cheers

Hi Katchupoy

Success with the sunrise/ sunset.
Had to change a few things.
Changed the POT wiring a bit (control & blue on 1, white on 2, + on 3).
Also reversed the 0 to 255 (other-wise started bright then faded).
Measured the ramp up voltage and had no light until 4 volts, so a few less lighting steps but can live with it, actually works!

Thanks Katchupoy for your advice, wiring diagrams and sketches.

LED lights are really great now. Might change some of the white LEDS to other blues etc to improve colour.
Now need to perhaps transfer components from bread-board to project board.
Can’t wait to start on temperature monitoring, PH and fan controllers etc.
Looking forward to the next step.

Nicely done!! I successfully also got the nano's lights to fire up (atm sans arduino ), next step is to start getting it automated

Nicely done!! I successfully also got the nano's lights to fire up (atm sans arduino ), next step is to start getting it automated

Thanks FallOn
Congratulations on firing up you lights.
They sure use less power than T5's.

It took awhile, but just tried different things till it started working.
Still small glitch at the sunset, blue go off for few minutes instead of the white
then white switches off for a short time then blues come on again bright to complete the sunset.
Cheers

I have a Meanwell ELN-60-48P driver. Can I, or should I wire up a pantometer(?)

I still haven't gotten anywhere else yet, been doing some reading on how to wire the 5v relays, but nothing that is similar to what we are doing. So I'm still unsure as to how it should be done.

Wow. I would love to do this, but its above my knowledge base, is there something I can read as a starting base to understand this. Or is it a years of study kinda thing? I have skills just not configuring electrical components to create signals, and programming these types of things, a good point in the correct direction maybe?

HTC EVO

Wow. I would love to do this, but its above my knowledge base, is there something I can read as a starting base to understand this. Or is it a years of study kinda thing? I have skills just not configuring electrical components to create signals, and programming these types of things, a good point in the correct direction maybe?

HTC EVO

Josh, really if you want to learn the best way is to just dive in. take a look at this tutorial Arduino Tutorial - Learn electronics and microcontrollers using Arduino!

Josh, what are you talking about? You are like me, does not know anything about it too. Also that is the reason why you are here correct? To learn?
Tell me what you want to know and i will help you , we will do it step by step. Believe me, it looks intimidating but its actually not.

So are you interested on building a led lighting rig or the controller.

Also remember that my controller is really the basic ones and not the ones with the complete bells and whistle.

Also, there are other ways too, boostled, typhon, dimr, etc, etc, etc.

All the best.

So both the strip for the main tank as well as the nano are manually fired up and dialed in. So next step is to move the connections to the breadboard and work with the sketches. I've already mostly pre-setup the board as per Katchupoy's schematics.

Last edited:
Back