Aqua Universe- good seller?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

dmbusha

I'm trying to find information on this retailer. We have emailed them about a T5 HO hood on Ebay, and whether it has individual reflectors or not. They state that it has "indapendant reflectors" so I don't know if this is something different, or if the person just doesn't know how to spell correctly.

I know that these may be cheaper products, but for now, its in our budget. I know that we can swap out the bulbs for some better quality in the near future.. but I want to make sure the fixture is good.

Here's the link...

http://cgi.ebay.com/T5-T-5-HO-Aquar...713921364QQcategoryZ46314QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks for your help!!

The only thing that scares me about this place is that they are keeping their feedback private. Seems like they have something to hide. Not to bad of a score though at 97 percent. They do have quite a few negatives though if you check their score card.

Yes, I saw that. I was thinking the same thing. However, the rating and postive's versus negatives are really good. Just not sure.. I don't want to buy this and it to have only one main reflector. I asked specifically and they said it has "indapendant" reflectors, but the photo you just can't tell.

If I were you I would spend a little extra and get this setup.
http://www.hellolights.com/pfo8t5po.html

PFO makes an excellent product and hellolights is very reputable.

Only like $40 bucks more and on sale. I don't know too much about t5's but my guess is you won't find one in this price range with a reflector for each bulb. Its possible a tek light from sunlight supply may have it but the cost will go up for sure.

Last edited:
Nope don't know, but I do know I have their dual VHO retro fit kit and dual MH mini pendants and their construction is top notch. Ballast and fixture for both.

Elmo18 is right you would be much better off with that setup.

Last edited:
I hear you. I thought the same exact thing. Then I had to buy replacement bulbs for my p.c. set and replacement corals, and found that the price of 2 MH bulbs is a whole lot less than 6 t-5 or 6 96 watt pc bulbs. I have spent lots of money learning and the best money I have spent has been on quality lighting. I dont know what or how your experince will go. I can only share mine.
Steve

Just a comparison in yearly bulb cost. Like steve said it gets expensive! 8 t5 bulbs @ 30 each = $240 x 2 (replaced twice year) = $480 MH XM 250w 2 bulbs @ 65 = $130 (replaced 1 a year) Price difference per year = $350

You've got a great point. However, the increase in electricity and the extras that you may need including a chiller add to that final cost too.

That and you need to make a enclosure for it....I asume this is just for the retrofit parts. Fans for cooling. And who runs just MH. I always use VHO or PC supplementation.

Did I mention the fans.

Jay

DMBUSHA,
I just wanted to post to be extremely carefull dealing with this supplier from ebay. I purchase a light combination from him that totaled over $800 and it arrived broken. I tried to contact him and get it resoved but he would never respond back. MY BAD I LET HIM TALK ME INTO BUYING FROM HIM OFF SITE.

The moon lights didn't even last 2 weeks!! :(

I do have emails and picts from correspondence from him for proof.

All I can say is if you do buy from him beware!!!

Duane

yeah... sorry to hear about that. Given the continued response from this company I think we've decided to avoid them. They continue to evade my very direct questions and thats very suspicious.

Back