Automation remodel

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Yes that makes sense, lets see if I can clarify that some. The first this is an easy one, I had them add a dedicated GFCI for the Chiller, so If the main pump shuts off the chiller also shuts off. There is two low level switches when the second low level switch shuts off both the top off & the main shut off, & an alarm sounds. It must have some sort of controller in it, I need to take the box apart & see how it is made, also I want to see the stainless solenoid they used. Worst case the water shuts off & you just have the main with standing water unless you run a CL like I have that is one a PLC controlling the MBV. I think I need to test what you said to make sure something like that could happen but I'm sure you can plug in both the main pump & the top off in one of the two GFCI's built in, I had them add the second outlet & explained what I wanted with the chiller, also it is wired with 12g wire & heavy duty cables. We need to experiment with this some to be sure it really is fail safe though.

Yes that makes sense, lets see if I can clarify that some. The first this is an easy one, I had them add a dedicated GFCI for the Chiller, so If the main pump shuts off the chiller also shuts off. There is two low level switches when the second low level switch shuts off both the top off & the main shut off, & an alarm sounds. It must have some sort of controller in it, I need to take the box apart & see how it is made, also I want to see the stainless solenoid they used. Worst case the water shuts off & you just have the main with standing water unless you run a CL like I have that is one a PLC controlling the MBV. I think I need to test what you said to make sure something like that could happen but I'm sure you can plug in both the main pump & the top off in one of the two GFCI's built in, I had them add the second outlet & explained what I wanted with the chiller, also it is wired with 12g wire & heavy duty cables. We need to experiment with this some to be sure it really is fail safe though.

Your still not dealing with natural drain back to the sump resetting the float and cycling the return. Now its cycling the chiller and the return. But if your PLC saw the low float shut down the return pump. You could have it stop the recycling.

Don

Don

If it gets the second Low it shuts them off & stays off! I'll test that tonight to be certain but I'm almost sure that is how it works & was explained to me in the manual.

If it gets the second Low it shuts them off & stays off! I'll test that tonight to be certain but I'm almost sure that is how it works & was explained to me in the manual.

Nope, I talked with them. But they do make a sturdy ATO system.:)

Don

I would love to get a TOS that when the water level gets so low it shuts off the pump anfd keeps it off till i reset it.

Yea Don If it does turn back on I'm sure it is easy to make it stay off, I can do that, glad you mentioned it. I'll have to look into it tonight & maybe get you to help me figure it out, like I said I never opened the box but now I have a reason to void the warranty:)

Is there a limit to the number of SECU-16s that can be addresses by an Ocelot?

This sounds like some great information! Can't wait to hear more.

-Dylan

Is there a limit to the number of SECU-16s that can be addresses by an Ocelot?

This sounds like some great information! Can't wait to hear more.

-Dylan

I really dont know. I have 11 running on my tank and 9 running on my house all on the same Ocelot. Thats 88 IO's on the tank and 72 IO's for the house. It takes alot of strange thinking to fill 160 IO's:)

Don

I checked for you its 126 address so I guess if all you wanted was secu16's you could have 126 of them. Thats 1008 IO's and 1008 .5 amp relays.

Don

Yea Don If it does turn back on I'm sure it is easy to make it stay off, I can do that, glad you mentioned it. I'll have to look into it tonight & maybe get you to help me figure it out, like I said I never opened the box but now I have a reason to void the warranty:)

I would love to see this also. I would like to make the upgrade to mine too.

Brian

I would love to see this also. I would like to make the upgrade to mine too.

Brian

You just need to know what your float is doing. Is it NC/wet or dry? Is it switching 12v or 120v? Is it switching pos. or neg. ?

Don

Here is the debounce code for the ocelot low water level control.

Float NC--->secu16 IO --->secu16 relay ---- power control (return pump)

If float turns off
Then secu16 relay off
Then variable 1 = 1
If float turns on
Then variable 1+1
If variable 1 becomes 5
Then secu16 relay on
Then variable 1 = 0

Pretty simple. If for example the top off solenoid goes bad and will not open and evap makes water to low.
Float drops, secu16 kills power to the return pump, tank will drain back causing variable to go up 1 to 2 and pump remains off.
You fix the problem. To turn the pump back on simply push down the float 3 times and the variable will climb to 5 and turn the relay back on and reset the variable. No reset switch needed.:)

Don

That sound good, Don, I think In my case If the water level drops low enough to shut the pump off, I would want it to stay off until I can reset it myself. I have water movement inside the tank, so only in a rare case would this problem occur & if it stayed off for a week It wouldn't hurt anything. So whatever the fix would be, I want it simple, I thought about putting in a delay but not in my particular case, I would probably want the lights to go only half leaving the rest off would allow the tank to stay cool enough.

That sound good, Don, I think In my case If the water level drops low enough to shut the pump off, I would want it to stay off until I can reset it myself. I have water movement inside the tank, so only in a rare case would this problem occur & if it stayed off for a week It wouldn't hurt anything. So whatever the fix would be, I want it simple, I thought about putting in a delay but not in my particular case, I would probably want the lights to go only half leaving the rest off would allow the tank to stay cool enough.

Thats exactly what the above code is. Gives a reset control without wasting an additional IO for a reset button. Thats the beauty of variables.

Don

I really dont know. I have 11 running on my tank and 9 running on my house all on the same Ocelot. Thats 88 IO's on the tank and 72 IO's for the house. It takes alot of strange thinking to fill 160 IO's:)

Don

HAH! Yeah, I'd say that's effectivly unlimited.

This looks like a really great approach to automation for the technically minded. Beats the heck out of X10

-Dylan

Here is the diagram for the basic functions. I write the code next, since I wont have the power module until monday night.:(
Once thats installed I'll add the second secu16 and the advanced controls.

Don

I'm still waiting on the power module, so I'll show the temp controllers.
I'm using two ranco single stage controller. One is the normal controller that most in this hobby use. The other has an extra output of 1-10v linear voltage. The only place I know to get these is grainger. Notice the extra small hole in the side, this is for th extra output.

Don

Power Module is here!!

I'm pretty excited about this one. My power module was waiting for me when I got home. It turned out just beautiful.:)

Back