Automation remodel

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

No more wall warts. This is a 12vdc 2.5A power supply.
supply.jpg

With the design of the power module, being connected to a automation system can become a problem if there was a complete system failure. If the module was just being used as a non automated system like a top off this wouldnt be a probem.
What could happen, the secu16 may go bad some day. If this happens all the relays would open and cause the entire tank to shut down.
A simple relay is held closed 24/7 by a module socket. In order for that socket to loose power either the power would have to go out or the controller would have to fail. If the controller fails the relay will lose power and switch polls This will then provide 12vdc to the entire power module and fire up everything except for the ATO.
failure.JPG

Well its alive, sort of. I got the power supply mounted up in the atic. Hooked up all the hot leads for the whole house so no more wall warts. Now I have 5 spare 1000ma supplies. The halide code is loaded and the new power module works exactly as planned. Halides are done, next will probably be the sump level switches.

Don

Here are the float switches I got today. They are encased in a removable shell so no need for a funky snail gaurd.
MadisonMS8000Medium2.jpg

The new 110v solenoids are not going to get here until next week, so I guess I'll skip the level indicators and get the display back on line this weekend.
display2.jpg

Is that a little external display or is that integrated on something. It looks sort of like a external display to a Reef Keeper. Also what else is it going to be able to display? Any Buttons?

Is that a little external display or is that integrated on something. It looks sort of like a external display to a Reef Keeper. Also what else is it going to be able to display? Any Buttons?

Its an external rs232 that gets mounted in a wall. It will display any text or number I tell it to. Buttons? I hate buttons that are stationary. Everything can be controlled by Rf or Ir.

Don

Optical switch mounted in skimmer cup. Basicly this just shuts down the skimmer when the cup is full.
power%20module%20007.jpg

Here are a couple of the skimmer auto shut off. You would'nt want to try this with a float switch.:) This is just after it shut down by itself.
skimmer%20aso%20001.jpg

skimmer%20aso%20006.jpg

Neat deal, that would come in handy when we're away for several days.
Where did you get the optical sensors & what does it take to use them rather float switches?

Neat deal, that would come in handy when we're away for several days.
Where did you get the optical sensors & what does it take to use them rather float switches?

Dwyer and they are easy to hook up to anything including a relay. Give it 12dc when it shuts off it will give you 12-. So you could connect it to a relay coil and have just a relay shut down a skimmer. Just like a ato.

Don

I got all the parts for the lighting automation remodel ordered this morning. My tank is getting a top to ceiling cabinet with two large doors so that I can have full access as if it were a open top.
The lighting 3x 250w halides are going on what I call a "light lifter". Basicly The lights will go up 24" when the doors open and park when the doors close. This gets them out of my way. In the morning they will start up high and over time move down to 8" as the light cycle is nearing its end they will slowly go back up before shutting down. Kind of a dawn dusk effect without having to add lower powered lights. Should be cool.

Don

So your going to motorize the lighting on a track or something or the sorts? That is a very good idea, I'd like to see the construction of it & how well it works.

So your going to motorize the lighting on a track or something or the sorts? That is a very good idea, I'd like to see the construction of it & how well it works.

Pretty simple and fairly inexpensive. I'll probably start another thread just for the lift.

Don

Back