Automation remodel

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

What I really needed for this system was a way to have a hammer pound me on the head or have electricity shock my butt when my co2 starts running low. I have a spare bottle but I loose at least one coral every time I put off buying co2.
I took wire and soldered it to the spring inside the co2 gauge. Then took a second wire and soldered it to the needle stop pin. Then insulated the face from the gauge with tape so there is no continuity. I then tweeked the tip of the needle so that it touches the stop at 50psi instead of 0. Now I'm going to have the system bother me and the wife until I get co2. Bothering the wife is the key to it success.

Don

I originally had planned to make my canopy from top of tank to ceiling so I could do the same with the lights but chickened out. I have finished the canopy and the top will be a little above eye level so the fan vents are not visible. My only complaint is that the lights will be partially in the way for any maintence other than feeding and glass cleaning where I have to reach deep into the tank.

I am definitely interested in your 'lift' design!

I originally had planned to make my canopy from top of tank to ceiling so I could do the same with the lights but chickened out. I have finished the canopy and the top will be a little above eye level so the fan vents are not visible. My only complaint is that the lights will be partially in the way for any maintence other than feeding and glass cleaning where I have to reach deep into the tank.

I am definitely interested in your 'lift' design!

There is a thread in the diy section. It will be done this week-end. I always seem to burn my arms on the halides or spash them with water an explode bulbs, so this shoulod help.

Don

I'm starting to consider the water change system. Really the only absolute is there can be NO mixing storage tank. That leaves me with a 55 gallon sump. The only reason I can come up with not to just shut the sump down for 12hours is temperature.
If anyone can come up with any other reasons I'd love to here them all before I move forward.

Thanks
Don

Is there a way to control your temp. in the main display while bixing batch salt in your sump? I don't see a real reason why not.

Is there a way to control your temp. in the main display while bixing batch salt in your sump? I don't see a real reason why not.

Its going to be either the sump or a huge outdoor container on the side of my house.

Don

Lets see if I can get this thread back on track. With the power outages I lost a controler. I found out it was my fault. The supply I robbed from a alarm panel was unregulated so the generator caused a surge.
The next step is the $1 tcp/ip connection. I won a lantronics EPS1 print server on ebay for a buck so I'll try to get it interface with the Ocelots serial port. We'll see what happens.

Don

Donw-

How is your calcium reactor run? Does the Ocelot do it? If so, how do you get a PH probe to communicate with it? When looking around the ocelot webpage I could only find IR inputs for the device.
I see that you use rancos to control the temp. Is that because there is no way to hook up a temp probe to the ocelot? It would seem that if you could hook up a few temp probes that the rancos would not be needed.

Peace,
Jesse

Donw-

How is your calcium reactor run? Does the Ocelot do it? If so, how do you get a PH probe to communicate with it? When looking around the ocelot webpage I could only find IR inputs for the device.
I see that you use rancos to control the temp. Is that because there is no way to hook up a temp probe to the ocelot? It would seem that if you could hook up a few temp probes that the rancos would not be needed.

Peace,
Jesse

No your missing something. The Ocelot gets digital, analog signals.
For example my rancos. They are not normal rancos, they have a extra 1-10 v signal output. The voltage is proportional to temperature. The ocelot sees the voltage and acts on the IO. Ph is a controller with a 4-20ma output, the ocelot uses this output to control ph. It also uses contact closure like a float switch or optical sensor.
What you have is a ocelot, this is basicly the brain. Then you have IO modules like the secu16 that have relays and IO inputs, these tell the ocelot what is happening.
The ocelot can monitor and control just about anything you can think of, given you can get the right io's. Mine controls my entire house to include the hot tub, lights, occupancy, security, hvac, tank, tank light, lift rodi........... I can even have it start my truck.:)
If you can come up with it, chances are you can do it with the ocelot.

Don

Back