Bio Pellet Reactor Build

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

:clap2:
Very cool and awesome work guys. I would say (imo) for the tapping I'd do it by hand. Or at the very least, either way you go with, you probably sould use some type of fluid for heat control while tapping the holes. Fluid will help disipate any heat build up the might be.

Cheers,
Alex

Thanks Alex,
We did use a soapy water mix, shot out of a Weld-on glue bottle to lube and cool the larger tapping.

Hey Mojo,
Did the carbon stay up off the bottom as we planed? Did you have to adjust the flow? Were there any leaks? How much carbon did you put in each reactor?

For tapping on the 5/16 I have always used a drill and haven't had any issues with it, anything larger and its by hand.

Pep I filled them up about 5 inches above the funnel and they are fluidising nicely. I would say the only thing that should be changed is the screen plate. It should be cut so it has a hard surface all the way round,that way it would give something to glue the screen to. Other then that no leaks or other issues. I am running the 700gph full out, works out to be perfect for fluidizing.

Mike

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk

Just thought I would post a few more pics of one of the small reactors.
This one will be for pellets. I think I am going to inject water into the side of the reaction chamber at mid height of the tumbling pellets.
That will be determined when I do a wet tests. (waiting on some pellets) Dont know if it will be needed, but it couldnt hurt, could it?
I took Mikes advice and made the media/cap/filter, rim be more of a full circle.
I also bought some white gutter guard to place on the bottom of the media
cap.
007-1.jpg

004-1.jpg

005-1.jpg

007-1.jpg

006-1.jpg

008-1.jpg

009.jpg

I changed up the bottom a bit to make it shorter than the larger reactors. About 1'' more chamber space.
013.jpg

014.jpg

Couple more shots.

used a zip tie to temp. hold the collar in place during the wet test
016.jpg

017.jpg

018.jpg

019.jpg

Thats all for now untill I get some pellets. I will need to work out with someone to shoot a video of the reactor in action.
Maybe I can swindle Eric to come by and be a camera man?

Maybe I can swindle Eric to come by and be a camera man?

Sure thing Dave. We even have a digital handheld video camera and then our phones are HD 1080P video camera's as well. :D Just let me know when you're ready.

Looking great guys. A+ workmanship on those reactors.

Cheers,
Alex

Thanks Alex,
I keep thinking on how to to something a little better than the last time made. I really enjoyed putting these together with Mike.
I was a little intimidated at first working in the round, Mike pushed me thru it and with a couple of key jigs it got alot easier.
I am looking forward to building a skimmer next.

Thanks Alex,
I keep thinking on how to to something a little better than the last time made. I really enjoyed putting these together with Mike.
I was a little intimidated at first working in the round, Mike pushed me thru it and with a couple of key jigs it got alot easier.
I am looking forward to building a skimmer next.

That's awesome!!! I'm sure if you do a DIY skimmer, it would be rockin'!!!

Yeah, working with round stock does have it's quirks and having to have the necessary jigs, but after you're all set up for them it's cake walk.

Cheers,
Alex

Sure thing Dave. We even have a digital handheld video camera and then our phones are HD 1080P video camera's as well. :D Just let me know when you're ready.

Thanks Eric,
I think I have your number written down somewhere!!!!

Maybe after Becca see's how awesome these are and how well they work, we can talk her into building one for your New Large Beautiful Sparkling 180 Gallon Reef Tank ( that is reactorless) LOL

That's awesome!!! I'm sure if you do a DIY skimmer, it would be rockin'!!!

Yeah, working with round stock does have it's quirks and having to have the necessary jigs, but after you're all set up for them it's cake walk.

Cheers,
Alex

I just acquired a 2 foot section of sch. 80 PVC today from work!! I think it is 8". That may be a good start.

Being snow bound today gave me a chance to tinker in the shop.
I wanted to be able to test a couple different ways to provide flow to the pellets.
I changed up the lower part of the water in design.
Mike had an idea of having the base spin so there would be no channeling. We talked about it and drew some ideas up but never got it to the bench. Well I have had some time to think about it, thought I would give it a shot.

I cut up some new pieces to fit on the CPVC 1/2''
From right to left,
Drilled end cap
1/4'' acrylic washer
1/2'' coupling
1/4'' acrylic strainer bottom
Funnel
1/4'' acrylic strainer top
1/4'' acrylic washer
1/2'' coupling
002-2.jpg

004-2.jpg

005-2.jpg

The bottom strainer slides over the 1/2'' coupling and is lose enough to spin
007-2.jpg

Then the funnel sits on top of the bottom strainer
010-1.jpg

Then the top strainer slides over the coupling, into the funnel, and is just shy of touching the bottom strainer. The coupling they slide over is just a touch longer than the thickness of the two strainers pressed together.
009-1.jpg

So now when I slide down the 1/4'' washer it wont touch the strainers, allowing it to spin. I can glue the coupling (above the washer) to the 1/2'' pipe to keep it all in place.
016-1.jpg

Notice the slots in the funnel and the zip ties thru the strainers to crimp the them together and hold the funnel in place
017-1.jpg

I dont know if the slots will cause this to spin, but it is worth a try.
I also added some screen to the top media filter cap, As I understand the pellets get smaller and smaller
020-1.jpg

I changed up the plumbing on the top of this one also
021-1.jpg

022.jpg

024.jpg

Saved some height by doing so
026.jpg

Which one do you think will work better?
027.jpg

028.jpg

First design will probably work better. I don't think the slots on the updated design are large enough to cause any real spinning action on that bottom funnel.

Sorry to pee on the Cheerios :lol:

Cheers,
Alex

First design will probably work better. I don't think the slots on the updated design are large enough to cause any real spinning action on that bottom funnel.

Sorry to pee on the Cheerios :lol:Alex

Cheers,

I find my Cheerios getting soggy quite a bit when I am trying to do a (new to me ) project. I would rather some one point out the obvious, and look like a fool,rather than never pick up a tool.. LOL

I think the spinning part will need some more R&D, I do think the way the strainers slip over the coupler will allow the unit to spin. I just need to get the water to drive that part of the unit around.

Ok Pep some stuff I noticed in this weeks torments,lol in regards to the carbon, we need a check valve above the pump, when my power went out some of the carbon drained back into the sump. Also pending on the carbon you use your going to need a sponge like pad by the screen, also the screen we build for mine is fubar (it did hold the screen strong enough and carbon by passed).

On a bright note the fliudization was outstanding, perfect amount and consistant.

Mojo

Back