bryosis

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

sigh.... I wish i didn't have to say this... first off i have to say that no matter what you do.. you will not defeat it... it will come back as soon as the conditions see fit for it to thrive

IM a professional when it come's to THe killer B..... Bryopsis is not even close to eazy to defeat....

In my honest experience i can tell you, that you will save your self more money and a lot less head aches if you set up something 2 save your coarl in... and nuke the tank... as in letting the rock sit out side for a few months.....

even boiling it doesnt always work...

scrubbing is the worse thing you can do.... every time you disturb it, your adding in it spreading..

i Know this isnt what you want to hear...and i wish i didnt have to say it... but i went Thur it for 5 years b4 i had enough....

:( good luck

Bryopsis hypnoides

something like this but darker in color. Since the clean up I've yet to see any anywhere but I'm making sure I keep verything tip top so it doesn't come back~

+1 on defeating it..I did but it takes constant and consistent hard work..have been clean for 2 yrs..all my rock now is covered with red and purple colors..

I am going to order some of this Kent tech m. It's everywhere in my tank.....little shoots in sand an all over rocks.....vodka didn't really help so here goes......

Iain,

From someone that has experienced having this vile and unruly algae in one's tank, I will tell you that the following does NOT work: Vodka, 2 part buffer, Mg Chloride flakes.

The only product that I have used that is effective is Kent Tech M.. period..

I bought several of the 1 gallon jugs for my 375g tank..

but you have to use alot of it for it to be effective and the Mg level must be above 1600 for at least one week....note the "AND" operator which means BOTH conditions must be sufficed..if either one is not, then bryopsis will not die off.

depending on how bad you have it, you might have to manually remove some of it as Mg will not kill all of it alone...when it turns to grey you should be able to siphon it right out of the tank.

you are in for a battle and you need to be consistent, but it can be defeated..most people say the heck with it, and break down their tank and start over; however, I am a stubborn individual and perseverance, consistentcy paid off and was able to eradicate it w/o breaking the tank down..

good luck
Kirk

I have bryopsishellatakeovermorpha and I have beat it several ways. The first time I beat it was using Kent Tech M and then dosing Brightwell Carbon Source. Eradicated in about 1.5 months. Now at this very moment I have the same GHA in another tank from transfering frags. Right now I am using Vertex Biopellets and it is working like a charm. The only problem is the use of the biopellets is, I believe, changing the chemistry of the water too much and I am experiencing some bleaching on some LPS. However it is not too bad and I am sure it is recoverable.

Igot the salifert magnesium test kit....mazes out @1500 ppm ....how test higher.....need to get to 1750 ppm....? 2 capfuls per day in 29 gal biocube?
Iain

Dosed with kept tech m for 3 weeks @1750 ppm....all bryosis gone, some hair algae has appeared but I think will be manageable with water changes....

Excellent...glad to hear..that is about the right amount of time for tech m to work..

Mine is gone also now.. problem is now I have some cyano again but its very very little

i am another success story for elevated mag levels. But all i did is add Neo Mag to the Calcium Reactor and over a period of about 1 month all gone.

Note: i also am running a large UV seterlizer but i dont think, and have never herd of any reasons to belive that it had any effect on it.

Back