bryosis

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

id like to see these success story's 6 months down the road.. under a full operation load, Normal water changes and regular feedings

im so glad i just started over i should have done it years ago

Had bryopsis twice before and both times my Mg was out of range. Once I corrected my Mg the bryopsis was gone. I have been bryopsis free for about 8 months now.

Ps don't understand previous post...thought I was supposed to increase mag levels to kill...

The increased Mg isn't what actually kills the Bryopsis. There seems to be some kind of impurity in Kent TechM. This impurity is thought to be what actually kills the bryopsis. This is why the only Mg supplement that works, to kill it, is TechM. It's also necessary to do large, regular water changes, in order to bring down your Mg, so you can dose more TechM.

Another treatment, that's been shown to work, as long as you can remove the infested rock or coral from the tank, is CoralRx. A couple of 10 minute baths, a few days apart, seems to kill the Bryopsis, quite well. Again, this must be done outside the tank.

Sad but it's came back.. with probably some DINO. I'm going to do a 5 day blackout I guess. It's weird I've added more bio filtration with another 20lbs of Live rock, don't over feed. I wonder if it's the ro unit somehow I am getting phosphates. I also started running purigen and chemi pure elite. O the sadness :(

I know your going through the ringer but did you test your RO to ensure that your water quality is where it should??? Also have you done your Husbandry? Fully Cleanning your Skimmer, Power Heads, ANY pumps or Media you connected to the tank. I'm Just asking because it can be a "bummer" when go through these things. Hope it works out

Dtech07

dtd87,

sorry to hear that..fwiw, bryopsis is one of the hardest algae to get rid of (i know i know, you already know that) :)

need to find the source of nutrients that is feeding this algae. RO unit, filters, membranes, not enough flow in the tank are causes..
you might want to run your skimmer a little wet until the algae is under control.

when I had this algae 3 yrs ago, I did alot of reading on the subject. there is a high rate of failure and most ppl give up and break down the tank and start over..the only reason I mention this is this is how hard it is to get rid of it..

be patience, stubborn, and fight hard as hell is the motto you need to get rid of this stuff.
It CAN be done. I did it as I wasn't gonna to let the algae win.

:)

I know your going through the ringer but did you test your RO to ensure that your water quality is where it should??? Also have you done your Husbandry? Fully Cleanning your Skimmer, Power Heads, ANY pumps or Media you connected to the tank. I'm Just asking because it can be a "bummer" when go through these things. Hope it works out

Dtech07

Yeah i completely clean out the skimmer every two weeks sometimes once a week. The ro tested fine, I have brand new filters in it, the membrane is only 6 months old and the dual DI is at like 50%. It definitely is a bummer. It's like OK hair algae then the air bubbles on it so I'm also like great Dino hair algae hybrid.

dtd87,

sorry to hear that..fwiw, bryopsis is one of the hardest algae to get rid of (i know i know, you already know that) :)

need to find the source of nutrients that is feeding this algae. RO unit, filters, membranes, not enough flow in the tank are causes..
you might want to run your skimmer a little wet until the algae is under control.

when I had this algae 3 yrs ago, I did alot of reading on the subject. there is a high rate of failure and most ppl give up and break down the tank and start over..the only reason I mention this is this is how hard it is to get rid of it..

be patience, stubborn, and fight hard as hell is the motto you need to get rid of this stuff.
It CAN be done. I did it as I wasn't gonna to let the algae win.

:)

Not giving up, it's just hard having a surgery a month ago standing a lot is difficult. I'm going to give it a push. From what I remember is to not do water changes because it can feed into it more.. Reduce feedings.. Etc Clean pumps and power heads..

Currently it has a koralia evo 1050, vortech mp10es dialed at like 65% and a swc bh100-f hob skimmer. probably 50lbs of LR, 10lbs of sand.. A false perc and a carpenters wrasse. Seeing how other people stock there tanks the same size and have no problem.. I'm not to sure, looks like my test kits expired too. I'm going to have to do some reading, I'd like to avoid buying tech-m etc because money is way to tight..

:(

the only way to rid it is to not disturb it, remove the rock...

the rock has aids, that's about the best comparison,

I was unable to get rid of it after years, i was able to control it..... Tell you one thing, if you can grow a reef with the killer B, and be able to substation and maintain you are pro
Its a never ending fight, you cant get rid of it... anyone who says they got rid of it, just learned how to control it as soon as the levels rise a little, it will return

anyone ever... boil the rocks with bryosis on it and start em over? Because I'm pretty sure it's bryosis.. it's just a lot darker than pictures i've seen online.

yep... boil and chuck in the yard for a summer..

Im glad i did, it would have cost of a lot less if i just would have started over years back with that last tank

I have the two rocks with the siginificant amount of it on it outside right now.. Going to wait for some die off.. and try and reuse it.

im considering when I move just trying out all the rock and starting over. But we'll see.

most tangs don't eat bryospis so consider yourself lucky.

That is if what is growing is Bryospis, it is still small sprouts only on the glass. The PB tang nibbles all day, so it really don't grow very big, may 1/8inch? Little sprouts that look tufty.

Back