Butterfly Problems

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Ok, I'm not to concerned with the semilavartus now. My original concern was from a couple of funny marks on it. I've gotten better looks and they are way to perfectly shaped to be an internal problem. I think it got to close to a powerhead and got sucked in. He's shown no symptoms of not being healthy. I do now have a problem with the burgess. He's got white spots on him. I QT'ed him for 4 weeks that went along with hypo. Not one other fish has shown any signs of a white spot. Can lymphocytis look like a bad case of ich. Aside from the spots it shows no other signs of ich. Every other butterfly I've had has had lympocytis so I know its in the tank. The last week has been pretty stressful with a power outage and a water change. I just can't catch a break it seems.

Sorry I haven't gotten back to you sooner. I was hospitalized last Friday and have just been released. Had a mystery infection which has cleared up.

Can lymphocytis look like a bad case of ich
No. They are quite obviously different.

Lymph is like the human cold virus. It is pretty much everywhere, in almost every marine aquarium containing marine fishes. It will express itself when the fish is stressed certain ways.

I'm stumped on what to do. If it is ich, I have no clue where it came from. I followed hypo, and the fish never showed any signs any time in QT. I have never seen it ever in another fish in the tank and even now no fish have even a speck on them. The burgess doesn't even seem bothered it swims and eats as if its perfect.

I'd suggest that you take a step back at this point in time and list the concerns you have with your fish. Start fresh. What is it you think you have something to do about?

If you were just now posting for the first time, what would you now be asking for help or recommendations about?

Should I take any course of treatment for the fish and or tank. The spots have gone down in the last day,so I assume its fighting whatever it has. I haven't done anything extra lately besides routine stuff. I've been taking a more wait and see approach. I think the fish will be fine, but I'm more concerned about adding new fish when the time comes. I know the only effective treatment for the whole tank would be fallow but I have no where near the time for that. I think I'm just going to let the fish fight whatever and help by bumping up feedings, with variety and getting some fats and vitamins.

It sounds like you've chosen to take no action and to not cure the fish, and to let them fend for themselves. A sort of decision of no action. Nothing I can help you with there. :D

Fish you add later will join the struggle to survive, rather than thrive in this kind of marine system. Thrive or Survive?.

This hobby takes time and money and I wouldn't recommend anyone in the hobby that can't afford one, the other, or both. :)

Back