Buying a SLR

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

BCT182

Im sick of blurry photos with the old point-n-shoot so I will be buing a SLR. Any recommendations? Whats everybody else using? I called Kits customer serivce and they recommended the D40. Its actually one of the less expensive SLR's at 550, since they go up into the thousands....

Brett I have the nikon d40 and I love it. I'm still trying to learn how to use it. Great camera for the price.

I have a Nikon D70, wouldn't hesitate to get the D40, they are nice, it is the lenses that make the biggest diff. & a little knowhow!
That said & still use my canon G5 & it is a macro machine from what I'm told!

I was shooting with the D50, but all my camera gear was stolen when my house was broken into last week. Luckily my fish were ok, but my super cool duncan pics are gone. My buddies are pushing me over to Cannon, so I think a Rebel xTi would be nice. However if you want a Nikon, buy it this week since there are great package deals at just about every store out there. Also, I hear the Cannon holiday sales promotions will be next week. Good luck!

I've been shooting Canon gear for a while now and really like the stuff. If budget is an issue, meaning you don't want to spend thousands, I would look into a used 30D as the price has been dropping since the introduction of the 40D. You can snag a used 30D now for like $700 and it takes fantastic shots. The XT/XTi will definitely get you by but the 20/30/40D all will make the XT's feel like a toy. All of the pics on my site were shot with Canon gear (either 30D or XT):
http://parchen.smugmug.com/aquariums

I would stick with either Canon or Nikon, they have the majority of market share for a reason. Another thing to consider is the availability of lenses and accessories, which are easily found for Nikon/Canon, but may be more difficult to locate for a Sony.

I would stick with either Canon or Nikon, they have the majority of market share for a reason. Another thing to consider is the availability of lenses and accessories, which are easily found for Nikon/Canon, but may be more difficult to locate for a Sony.

well sony bought out minolta so it uses all the minolta lenses, but i understand what you are saying

I ended up with the d40, I got a couple lenses and some filters and so on. Need a tripod though. Ill pick one up tomorrow.

Man learning how to use this cameras a hobby in its self...

Brett, you'll love your D40. I shoot a Canon Rebel Xt. When I was shopping for a DSLR, I was undecided between the Rebel Xt the D40 or the Sony A100. One selling point for the Sony is the Stabilizing body. You can get better stabilizing results with stabilizing lenses on the D40 or Xt. However, they're not at all cheap...lol. Keep your eye out for a quality 50mm Macro lens. Macro lenses are amazing for tank shots.

You're absolutely right. With your DSLR, you're starting into a whole new hobby. One that's as expensive, if not more, than reef tanks and has an even greater learning curve...lol. Study up on your manual settings. You'll eventually want to use Manual, Apeture Priority or Shutter Priority. I use Manual and set my Apeture and Shutter speed for each shot. This gives you the most control...once you learn the camera. Also, learn how to use your custom white balance settings. That's critical with reef shots. The camera's pre set WB settings never work with our reef lights.

The pic you posted is great! Once you get a tri-pod, you can use a slower shutter speed to gather more light and the pic won't be quite so dark.

LOL Keep in mind the most confusing part about SLRs. Apeture settings are confusing in that lower numbers indicate a larger apeture opening....allowing more light in. Slower shutter speeds also allow more light but need a more steady hand or a tri-pod. When taking pics of moving fish or waving corals, the slower shutter speed won't help much and you'll need a larger apeture opening instead.

Welcome to the DSLR club!! You'll love it. I ended up joining as many photography forums as reef forums...lol. Here's links to a couple great ones. There's also a link to my Flickr photo page in my signature. A lot of those pics were before I got the Canon.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/
http://www.shortcourses.com/
http://www.photoshopsupport.com

DSC_0014.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

I ended up with the d40, I got a couple lenses and some filters and so on. Need a tripod though. Ill pick one up tomorrow.

Man learning how to use this cameras a hobby in its self...

Which lens did you get?

Back