Buying a SLR

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Ok well I was trying yo get some close up shots and some come out okay, but when I crop/expand the image it gets grainy as it gets larger.

The nikon D40 is a six million pixle camera.
I was thinking about taking it back and getting the Cannon XTi instead.
It has 10 million pixles, so when I blow up and image I can zoom in on the image closer with the picture ge-grading less. Right?

Is the XTi THAT much better than the D40? It is $250 more.

I also need one basic lense for vacation pics, and then a good all around Aquarium lense.
Quantaray has a 70-300mm lense with macro function for $200. Is this decent of junk?

I just cant seem to get as close and crisp of pic with the D40, and I dont want to spend 600-1200 bucks for a single lense.

Last edited:
OK, Well taking from whats posted directly above, when spending around $1000-1200, whats the best setup to go with, for vacation pics and tank pics. Can I be sucessful with the nikon d40, or should I go with the cannon xti?

18-200 VR nikon lens is covered overall zoom and wide,,you can rent the lens from some place in seattle see how you like before you buy,,or you can search www.nikonusa.com or call tech support,,they will tell you what kind the lens you will needed for your purposed of used,,i 'm just the nikon fan.

maybe cannon fan might want to chime in

Brett, do you have your camera set to save in the largest format? With a 6 mp camera set at it's highest resolution setting, you should be able to take pics that you can blow up to 10X14 with no problem at all.

Also, do some study on editing. There's certain order you should do your editing in to save as much of the quality as possible. The more times you edit and save, the more you lose so if you do all your editing in a ccertain order, and save the file the fewest times, you'll more of the image.

OK, Well taking from whats posted directly above, when spending around $1000-1200, whats the best setup to go with, for vacation pics and tank pics. Can I be sucessful with the nikon d40, or should I go with the cannon xti?

The chip in the D40 is Sony & up to the D200 still Sony & then their big dog camera chips are made by Nikon. You could of gotten the D40X which is 10MP but really unless your framing up posters you won't ever need that, that is now at the point of marketing to sell more. You have the camera already, spend the money on real lenses, they come with their cheapest, find you a pro lens with something that has a fixed f2.8 aperture, man you will kick your behind until you try something like that, big difference in price but well worth it. You can get used lenses from KEH.com they have been in business for almost 35 years & you can return what you get after 14 days of use. I Just purchased a bargain used "28-80 F2.8 TOKINA ATX PRO DX" I can shoot in dark with this thing LOL! Even though I brought their lowest rated over new it still looked almost new & work flawlessly, lenses don't loose value. If you want to make that camera rock, put your money into the lens & yes they will cost you more than the camera, the Tokina is a tank but only the actual Nikon lenses would outperform it but at three times the cost.
PS I had/have Canons, I don't knock anything in the higher end cameras either one makes great & cheaper bodies. The only two issues with the D40 I had was a smaller body for my liking & you can't auto-focus the older lenses like the one I just posted you have to get the lens with the auto-focus motor in it, which is no big deal If you don't have any lenses in the first place, other than that the minor little things are no biggie!

OK just 2 cents, take it for grain.

So should I at least up grade to the D40x? I bought the camera Tuesay and I have a 10 exchange policy, no penalty, no qustions asked.

I don't think you need to get another body Brett. It is the Lens that matters. That is where I would spend my money.

I also need one basic lense for vacation pics, and then a good all around Aquarium lense.
Quantaray has a 70-300mm lense with macro function for $200. Is this decent of junk?

I just cant seem to get as close and crisp of pic with the D40, and I dont want to spend 600-1200 bucks for a single lense.

You can get the best camera they make, you will never get what you want without good lenses, period!
The cost for the upgrade or the cost of a better lens, I'd coff up the money for a better lens, get you a prime lens with an f1.8, little work it will do the macro shots for your fish tank & they are relatively cheap for prime lens, (no zoom). I'm telling you now ask they guys what they would prefer, a few more mega pixels or a better lens.
Again, go to KEH.com, find your camera & get a decent lens for your macro, no this lens will not be the all around lens, that is another subject. To really get the most out of the lens you have, you will need to deal with a tripod to get the most of it & then knowing how to make adjustments, these package lenses aren't the best IMO.
Shoot BigT a pm, Llarian, or even Blaze88, get their recommendations of a good macro lens for your camera, then call them guys at KEH & they will help get you a lens for that, If you don't like what you get they have a no hassle refund, completely, I think even shipping. You should be able to get that at a very affordable price.

Good zoom maybe but all around you may want something else, you'll pay for a good around zoom lens.

The lens is what really makes a shot, the money will be better spent there. I can't recommend any good macro lenses since I'm not familiar with Nikon gear, I can list off quite a few for Canon stuff though. And don't get fooled when a lens says "macro" in the title as very few of them will actually be dedicated macro lenses (meaning 1:1 magnification). I would stick with any of the kit lenses until you really decide what you are looking for in terms of an upgrade lens. I personally don't like anything that doesn't have a constant aperture (like F/2.8, F/4) but those generally come with a cost.

... I can list off quite a few for Canon stuff though. And don't get fooled when a lens says "macro" in the title as very few of them will actually be dedicated macro lenses (meaning 1:1 magnification). I would stick with any of the kit lenses until you really decide what you are looking for in terms of an upgrade lens. I personally don't like anything that doesn't have a constant aperture (like F/2.8, F/4) but those generally come with a cost.

I'd like to hear what you recommend for a Canon macro lens. I just bought a Rebel xti kit, and it came with an 18-80mm IS lens, and a 70-300 lens, and a flash. I haven't had a chance to shot with it yet since they sold out like hotcakes this weekend at Glazer's Canon Days sale. I should be getting it sometime this week. Will the 18-80 lens work.... can you recommend a macro by Canon or another manufacturer? Thanks!

Back