Buying my first 8 foot tank...need advise.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Here's a question for you guys, I'm going to need a minimum of 7500 gal/hr flow in this thing to get 30x. Since it seems that most of your typical "reef" pumps are rated much lower than this, what would you guys recomend for a single pump CL? Something more appropriate for large ponds? Sequence makes a 1000 model that is rated at 6100gph @ 1' with a 366w max. Price is $580 something through pondliner.com. Price would be signifigantly less than doing 3 Japanese Iwaki's that I would need to get the same flow, and I'm positive less wattage.

I would think a Hammerhead would be adequate for that size tank. The Barracuda that I have moved a ton of water. The only thing I would worry about on the pond line is weather it is rated for Salt water...

Yeah, a hammerhead would probably work well, and will get me close to 25x, my returns will probably make up the difference. Good call mike. The thing comes with an older Iwaki that's rated at 128 g/min but I'm not sure it even still works. It's pretty hagard looking and who knows how much power it consumes. I like your inverter idea, but I don't know where I'd put it. Not much space in that house that isn't being used, and I don't have a garage. Would be SO nice to have a fish room if I had the space!

I think I would double check that pond pump that you looking at just to make sure it's compatible with Saltwater (Like Mike said :) ) and I betcha that thing just might consume less then the one the tank came with. That's why we are switching to a Koralia 7 and getting rid of the 2 4's each 4 uses 12 watts and a 7 uses 12 plus we get more GPH. Doris you will have to introduce us all if we are in the store at the same time. I cannot wait to see the tank set up :) and now Doris will have a new toy in the store to play with.

Well as for location when I was in the other apartment my inverter setup was in a closet out of the way... You could go so far as to build a piece of furniture that would house everything the other idea would be to place the system outside in a lean to style cabinet etc. If you ever decide to go that route we can figure out something that will work for you.

Last edited:
Have you even thought of the laundry room lol the only reason I say that is because well we set out RODI unit and holding tank in there. Just an idea :)

Pentagona,

In my setup, I dont use a laundry room either..everything is out in the garage including RO/DI unit..it is easier to explain in person, but if needed can do it with narrative and pics.

I have an almost 8' tank (94") the two best things I felt I did in my build (other than the two pump closed loop system (which Kirk already mentioned)) was to make an automated water change system (flip valves instead of sucking on hoses and carrying buckets) and using a garage storage lift system on my light rack to get the lights up out of the way when working in the tank.

I agree having a light rack that moves out of the way is great. We just fnished a 270 gal 8 foot in-wall with a light rack that raises (3 400W MH & 6 24" T-5 actinics). My husband and I were sailboat pulleys and couterweights when my 85 yr. old dad suggested we try an elk hoist. :shock: It works great, has a 9:1 ratio, and the mechanical parts are all stainless steel. We made the light rack out of T-slot with tracks on both ends to keep the rack level. The link below my signature has a couple photos of the hoiset down towards the bottom of the photos. (I think it was about $45.00 at Sportsman's Warehouse.)

Haven't got an automated water change system yet, definitely will need to get one set up. Maybe we can look you up next time we get to the west side? :)

Colleen,

Sure. Anytime. Just send me a PM.

I have an automated water change system, light racking system and an attic fan with sensor temp to control heat in the garage for your viewing pleasure. :D

Sorry guys been busy and haven't been able to get on in the last couple days. I've got the plumbing fitted, and the temporary spray bar/closed loop finished. Will be leak checking tomorrow, and if all goes well I should be finishing gluing up the sump drains and returns and mixing salt tomorrow evening. I bought three 250w retros with 14k Hamiltons that we'll be suspending from the ceiling until I get the hood built, and then I'll add two 160w VHO's. May end up moving livestock as early as the beginning of the week. If anyone wants to stop by, I'll be there most of the day tomorrow. I know some of you already have! Oh yeah, almos forgot I ordered my Hammerhead today as well!

It was nice to finally meet you Jeremy and glad to see that tank up and running and getting closer to live stock being in it:) Sorry we couldn't stay longer to chat we had the whole family with us and my little one was getting cranky plus you looked very busy getting things together on the tank:) Cannot wait to see some live stock in there :)

Sure did! Got the Barracuda plumbed in, finished tying in the sump drains and returns, did a second leak check, and started filling with RO last night! Going to start hanging lights on Wednesday. Jonas had to order new sockets for me to match the PFO reflectors and they won't be in until this afternoon.

Back