Buying my first 8 foot tank...need advise.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

UPDATE:
It's DONE! Sorry I haven't gotten any pics yet, but all the plumbing is done, lights are hung, it's got water and now we're ready to move livestock. Might move today if I get off early enough, otherwise it will be on Sunday sometime.

well since Jeremy did not put up any pics I will do it for him :) Hope you don't mind Jeremy... Taken tonight sorry kind of did them fast!

3238531460_d3a2039db6.jpg

3237690003_dbc46b3c47.jpg

3238531966_635ae6bcff.jpg

3238532352_75cb482642.jpg

3237690655_f598e8ed8f.jpg

Mike,

holy Georgia Aquarium !!

I just read your signature, and you have as many tanks as I did when I lived in NC. operative was "had".

:D

Are you in therapy yet? LOL j/k.

Mike,

holy Georgia Aquarium !!

I just read your signature, and you have as many tanks as I did when I lived in NC. operative was "had".

:D

Are you in therapy yet? LOL j/k.

LOL well I have gotten rid of 2 of my 55's so I am down tanks actually. Fortunately they are tied together so it makes the upkeep pretty simple.

Livestock moved on Sunday! Didn't even get to watch the Super Bowl :( I think MC_Lighting will be posting some pics today, though they won't be real clear since I'm sucking air someplace on my closed loop intake. Will try and get corrected with some new pics on Wednesday or Thursday.

Whoo hoo you must of did some work we were in on Sunday before the Super Bowl and the tank was empty so I cannot wait to see pics and see it with stuff in it in person :)

I did, it took me until 3:00 just to get my tank broken down and packed up. Moved everything, rock/coral/fish/sand/120 gallons of water/equipment all in one shot! I was down there until closing unloading everything, and then all day Monday aquascaping and Cherry Picking a nice big Derasa from Jonas' new shipment of hybrid clams that arrived around mid-day.

couple of things I didn't even think about before setting up a 300 gallon inside the house:

-Humidity. A dehumidifier is a must. If you can, a big fan blowing air out of the room would be great too.
-Cost of running the whole thing. heaters, chiller, multiple halides, big pumps running 24/7, roughly $70-150 per month in energy charges. Plus the cost of water changes, RO running all the time and salt.

I get letter from Puget Sound Energy saying "your energy use is 92% higher than your efficient neighbors"!!!

Good luck, Must have pix! :)

I left the camera in the truck last night and was too lazy to go get it I will post them when I take the dogs out for their morning walk...

Most of them are in the $80-100 range for the hybrids I'm pretty sure, but they're all in the 3-4" range with some REALLY cool colorations. The Derasa I bought yesterday is about 7-8".

noon, the two nice things about my house are that it has a REALLY open floor plan, so humidity is dispersed pretty widely throughout the house, the other nice thing is central heat and a/c so the house never varies from 68-74 degrees all year long.

Back