C.C. to B.B. progress..

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

cool, a few more questions, so just a 3/4 pipe going down the back, and i was talking about a single loc-line nozzle tip, one for each side flow tubes. what size pump do i need for the down flow, also how long will my fish and things live in the tempary plastic tub home, and what happens to lr thats has heat anf flwo but not much light....

Last edited:
John is right on. I would run the pump (don't put a lot of time into plumbing it right away) and see if the flow is effective. Mine is very effective, but I have 1 of the 4 outlets of a 3000 gph pump pushing straight down. I know for a fact this works for me and others. Will it work in your tank? Possibly, you have to try it to see. Run some vinyl tubing from the outlet of the pump and move it around to see what is effective. Put different nozzles on. Angle it differently. You have to try it to see if it is effective. We cannot garauntee this.

John also gave you a great suggestion in adding a little fine grain sand to the tank to test the effectivity of the flow you are applying.

For the corals you have listed I wouldn't be too worried about high flow rates, but would instead focus on ensuring detritus gets to the skimmer for removal.

i will work on that, what about the fish and things,how long will they live in the tub? and what happen to live rock with water movement and not much light

You could put a shop light fixture (flourecent lights) over the tub for light and that should be fine for the fish and mushrooms. low light on the rocks should help kill off any algaes. You will lose some of your corraline, but it will come back. As long as the tub has water movement, temp stability, and you do water changes to keep up the water quality you should be fine for what ever length of time you need. You may want to throw in an air stone for some extra aeration. Keep the skimmer running on that tub if you can. That will help a lot.

daytonabill! Looks like these guys are really getting you sorted out and I'm really enjoying and learning from your thread...BTW great thread! I don't really have much to add here, but I see you are wondering what to do with the open space and I figured I tell you what a friend of mine is doing to hide his dsb, which in theory is the same thing. With his stand, he is putting a lip/molding straight around his stand to come up the tanks glass a bit to hide everything below it. So if you looked at his 65 tall, it would look like he had a ssb because the glass would look basically 18 tall because the molding (1x6) he added will hide the bottom 6 inches of his tank. He doesn't like the look of a dsb, but likes the benefits. So with your setup, it would be the same thing except you wouldn't need to hide 6 inches of the bottom of your tank because it wouldn't be raised that high. You'd just have to put a lip/molding around the top of your stand just high enough where you don't see the eggcrate. Just a thought I figured I'd throw out. Not sure if it is any help to you...

thats cool, i was just thinking that i have alot of open space, but i guess thats great for cleaning, i guess its better to build up than out, i know i have talked all of this to death, but if i dont know, i will ask...

Yeah, the open space is for cleaning. I thought you meant you wanted a way to hide the open space so you couldn't see the eggcrate...Sorry:)

Bill go back and read some of my early post, I posted about hiding the edge of the eggcrate and how to do it. I would cut my eggcrate to the size and shape ai wanted it and then built my reef on it. I looked for rock for a couple of months for the edges of the reef to hide the eggcrate, it doesn't have to be done right away. Read some of the early post. Remember you don't have to build a little mtn in the center of your tank, you can spread it out some, the main place for room is out front so you can clean it and have a place for the detritus to be blowin too.

Last edited:
well just finished the plumbing, installed new 1276 gph to flow down the back,and used the 800 gph to flow onto the front two glass panles,all is working well flow is strong under and out of the eggcrate pushing big stuff up to the front glass, small stuff up the front glass back into the lr, what is proper flow,what ami looking for? soon pics

Proper flow in your case IMO, would be nothing settling anywhere in your tank or only settling in the front of your tank to be removed manually. I would go for complete suspension in your water column first though. Just my 2 cents worth...Not necessarily right though. I'll be looking out for your pics! Glad to see you are getting things together daytonabill:)

the way its setup now, the big stuff pushes to the front glass,easy access, the small stuff floats all around...nothing stays under the reef.

Bill glad to hear things are going again. Just one question? What do you have for filtration on your setup?, and are you running a skimmer?

You lost me on the skilter, anyway, the idea is to keep the detritus in suspension for the skimmer to pick up or be vac'd out. If it is blowing so hard underneath that it is blowing it up and it is settling on your LR that is not good. Since you are going to keep softies you can't put mush current on them directly, if you were keeping sps you could direct flow onto the reef to help keep stuff in suspension and off of the LR. You may want to tone that down line down just a little so it blows less stuff onto the LR. Having detritus settle on your LR well create a good food source for algae and bacteria.

thanks john, the skilter s a h.o.t. filter and skimmer combo, the water flows under the reef and the side flow keeps it all moving around,nothing ever seems to settle....

Back