C.C. to B.B. progress..

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

thanks to all for the advice, i thought i new a little, about this hobby. boy was i wrong, it has been learn, learn, witch is good. do i need to y off of the loc-line fittings on the left and right, with maybe one of the fan tips pointed at the rocks, or anything you can think of to aid in mantiance,,,, the way it is now, the heavy stuff stays to the front, and the small stuff never stops moveing all around the tank and rocks, this seems to be a good thing... i think.

Last edited:
I would leave your flow the way it is for now and see how it works for a couple weeks. Keep syphoning out the detritus from the front as it accumulates and make this part of your weekly routine (in conjunction with water changes).

Decide your long term coral focus: SPS, softies, LPS, anemones, etc.

You really don't want to add mushrooms if you plan to go SPS...trust me...I'm still trying to get rid of my mushrooms.

Depending on what you decide for coral types, you may need to add the Y fittings you are talking about, or maybe not. Time and decisions on inhabitants will tell you.

Keep it up Bill. You have a great start.

Have a siliar Tank

daytonaconnecti,
I have a similar tank to what you have, and am using a vortex type flow setup. I have one powerhead low on the back corner blowing counter-clockwise around the tank. I have 2 other PHs at different heights continueing in that direction, and one pointing into the LR stack. My return is a Y setup with 2 nozzels going down the two long sides pinting in different directions. I can watch the ditrius swirl up to my overflow when I blow it off my rocks. Like you, I am still begining again, but just giving you some ideas to work with. Here's a couple pics:

aquarium36es.jpg

aquarium41eu.jpg

Good luck!

Last edited:
Bill I would strongly suggest as I posted before you start with softies and later add some lps if you want to. SPS as a whole require MH lighting, which well in turn lead to heat issues and chillers, and most of all having to keep your alk and calcium and mag levels all at the proper levels. Start with the others for a while and get where you feel confortable with keeping fish and the easier corals going and everything looking good and healthy. The jump to SPS just adds a bunch more things you well have to keep up with. Go slow, you can always sell or trade the softies out down the road when you are more into your confort zone with this hobby. You well learn where your flow is needed as time goes by. I blow my rock off a couple times a week with a turkey baster.

Last edited:
your sysem is looking great! nice plumbing and egg crate:)
i think that you might want to consider upgrading from your 2 current skimmers to 1 bigger more efficient skimmer, skilters and amiricals are somewhat innefficient comparably. i agree with krish, a.s.m.'s, aqua c's, euroreef, top fathom would be the way to go. no berlins, prisms, sea clones, not worth the money.
keep up the good work, your doing great!

Bill if you get a new hangon get the Aqua-c Remore Pro with the Mag drive pump option. Even better is one of Deltecs hangons but they are pricey but worth it.

aqua c remora pro makes a little sucking noise, but nothing the wife couldnt live with in our bedroom. it puts a few bubbles in the tank when it's new or newly cleaned but then settles down pretty well. they do make a surface overflow/ bubble trap for it, a great item, unless you want to look at a mag 3 in your tank.:)

slight green algea on the glass wipes off easy....ck water everything good.... santa gave me a coralife ro/di unit for chirstmas, early... i got rid of the first 10 gal made.. then have used 2 or 3 gal for top off,, iam going to blow off the rocks, and do a water change, this week end...

Back