Can I make my own MH light from a shop light.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

CBRFIREMAN

So I have these Metal Halide lights that were in my warehouse at work and they are 400W metal halide fixtures (see picture below). My question is whether it is possible for me to retrofit this fixture to my 120 gal custom hood. Whether or not the light would match the light output needed for an aquarium. :idea:

So I have these Metal Halide lights that were in my warehouse at work and they are 400W metal halide fixtures (see picture below). My question is whether it is possible for me to retrofit this fixture to my 120 gal custom hood. Whether or not the light would match the light output needed for an aquarium. :idea:
Just make sure that A. they are 120v or b. Can be tapped for 120v Lots of warehouses have 277v for there lighting

Just make sure that A. they are 120v or b. Can be tapped for 120v Lots of warehouses have 277v for there lighting

They can be wired 120v or 277v, and I was going to rewire the whole fixture so that the ballast would sit in my stand below the tank and maybe run 2 lights off of one ballast, I just assumed that I would have to buy the proper mogul mounts and bulbs and make my own reflector but for the price of free for 3 of them I couldnt pass them up.

you'll just have to make sure you get bulbs that will light with that magnetic probe start ballast. im pretty sure xm's do...and reeflux as well.
ushio and radium bulbs wont though.

you'll just have to make sure you get bulbs that will light with that magnetic probe start ballast. im pretty sure xm's do...and reeflux as well.
ushio and radium bulbs wont though.

What is a magnetic probe ballast? and here is a picture of the actual fixture.

They can be wired 120v or 277v, and I was going to rewire the whole fixture so that the ballast would sit in my stand below the tank and maybe run 2 lights off of one ballast, I just assumed that I would have to buy the proper mogul mounts and bulbs and make my own reflector but for the price of free for 3 of them I couldnt pass them up.

You will want to wire either 120V or 240V. 240V is the most economical if you have the space in you panel. You will only be able to drive one lamp with one ballast, but you can run all three ballast off one breaker. Good luck!
rick

Mh Diy

I just started this project and thought I would do a little research about the availability for others to aquire used metal halide fixtures and use them like i have. What I have found is that most used lighting and electrical supply companies will sell the used fixtures for $50.00 to $100.00. Then that does'nt include the price of the aquarium style MH bulb. Just thought that I would let others know how much it would cost to do a custom metal halide setup. If you can find the fixtures for free like me all the better.:)

Back