Carbon Question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Good idea Krish, I've been running the bags in my sump and haven't noticed any clarity in the water but the bags were full. I have heard that carbon removes everything, good and bad. Including trace elements and things we would like to keep in the tank. I guess we can't have it all. What's your thoughts on what carbon does to the water make up?

I've heard it removes quite a bit of stuff...Even medication. Just think about the test people perform when checking to see if their carbon needs changing. They put a few drops of blue dye next to the carbon and see if it clears up so it removes quite a bit of stuff, but how much...Not too sure. I haven't experienced it removing anything out of the ordinary though which is cool...I figure those micron cartridges like what people use for polishing their water is even worse when it comes to stripping your water. Some people don't reccommend running them more than 24 hours at one time!:eek:

I ran carbon quite bit, I use a canister with a powerhead to run water through. Lt a pretty Slow flow though. I change it about every week, week and half. I run them before my Refuge though, That way alot of good stuff gets back in. I noticed a drop in ammonia and before RODI was available we used to run them on our tanks before adding salts to the mix for insurance. So it does do good stuff and it clears water nicely.

I've heard it removes quite a bit of stuff...Even medication. Just think about the test people perform when checking to see if their carbon needs changing. They put a few drops of blue dye next to the carbon and see if it clears up so it removes quite a bit of stuff, but how much...Not too sure. I haven't experienced it removing anything out of the ordinary though which is cool...I figure those micron cartridges like what people use for polishing their water is even worse when it comes to stripping your water. Some people don't reccommend running them more than 24 hours at one time!:eek:

I've heard that about saltwater. People just use it off and on. I use it all the time in my freshwater, no problem. I'm new to saltwater, still trying to figure it out. FUN FUN!!!

LOL...Aren't we all!! Yeah...Some people only run it for a day or two each week and that's it and then there are some that run it continuously. Just a personal preference I guess and with time as you learn about your system, you'll get the feel of what works best for you:)

hey, i've never bothered to use carbon before, but now i am convined to use it, which brand is the 'most prefered' (dont wanna use the "b" word). which one has the least ammounts of phosphates? i heard ROWA was good any opiniions?

Im going to start runing cabon 2, but im confused,

can i just go get a Hob wisper or aqua clear? does it have to be rated for the amount of water i have (30+7)

i can get carbon from the lfs, i will remake my filters (i think will be cheaper)

hey, i've never bothered to use carbon before, but now i am convined to use it, which brand is the 'most prefered' (dont wanna use the "b" word). which one has the least ammounts of phosphates? i heard ROWA was good any opiniions?

I've never used ROWA, but I know Black Diamond is is the most popular and preferred type to use:)

Im going to start runing cabon 2, but im confused,

can i just go get a Hob wisper or aqua clear? does it have to be rated for the amount of water i have (30+7)

i can get carbon from the lfs, i will remake my filters (i think will be cheaper)

You can use a powerfilter... That's perfectly fine. All you need is running water through the media and your good:)

but does it have to be rated for the size of tank i have??

or will a small one do?

rgr that, im gonna go get my self one.

my lfs sells bags of carbon, will it be chaper for cabon by the bulk?

I think it was SteveS that posted a recommended quantity amount you should use per gal, but I can't say for sure. The less you use though, the more frequently it will have to be changed because it will become exhausted more quickly. I just use a standard media bag and half fill it:)

they come with one filter.

im gona use that, and then get a bag and a box of cabon 2 refill

If the filter comes with any sponges or prefilter pads and you decide to use them as well, make sure you clean them regularily (like every 2 days or so) because they act as biological filters and will degrade water quality which will in turn fuel that algae that you are trying to eliminate. If it were me and it came with a sponge or pre-filter pad, I'd toss it and just run the carbon. Just a though:)

i was just gonna get like a aquaclear 30 or 50, or something like that, get a bag of carbon, and maybe some new filters.

Ill make filers, or maybe ill just use the bag that the phosban came with, since im not useing it,

Yeah...You could do that. I just use a feeding clip and hang my media bag in the sump. Also, the aquaclear will work as well:)

i have a hang on biowheel350...it came with cartridges that you can fill with media...that's what i am running my carbon through

Back