Carlos 60 gallon new tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

It's good to know it can be done without risking everything.

What would you recommend to do with the sand? try to clean it or replace it? also
Should I keep the same water?
Do I have to let the silicone cure for more than 48 hours?
How do I attach the acrylic to the glass without making a mess?

Last edited:
Well, seeing it is a ssb, you could just give it a good cleaning or go bare bottom:D :p I wouldn't replace it...The sand bed is still very young so you won't really benefit anything. As for the water, you will want to keep the majority of it. You don't want to start from scratch again so save the majority and maybe replace 25% of it as you vaccum out that sand bed. You'll be surprised at what has accumilated under those rocks already:eek: Now where the backround is concerned, I just used aquarium silicone and that's it. Silicone will hold it perfectly to the glass and I think I waited about 24-48 hrs. Can't remember exactly, but wasn't longer than 48:)

Thanks for the input Krish, I guess this is going to be my project for next week. I'm glad I don't have any live stock yet.

I will keep you guys posted. Wish me luck! :p

Last edited:
Not necessarily. Just try and keep the rock from drying out to prevent any die-off. You should be fine though...Everyone knows I've done things like this a million times:p

If your going to do this, I could get a few big rubbermaid cans & dump everything in there, with heaters PH's to keep the water the same. The only thing I wouldn't try to keep is the sand, at three months I'm sure it will already stink, If you keep it put it in a separate tub. To use enough silicone to stick that back you will want to let it dry that 48 hours because without air it doesn't dry as fast once exposed to air the first time, also I would silicone the back first then the next day silicone the outer edges to make it detritus proof & allow the inside to dry. Last use GE Silicone I not the II as the II has mold & mildew inhibitors in it.

Scooty, I used Arag-Alive for my sand bed, don't you think that if I replace it the cycle could be extended? Also I was thinking on getting All-Glass Silicone since I saw my LFS selling it the other day. Should I use that or the GE?

If you move that SB it will cycle, the amount & length of time may depend on age, life in it. The good thing is you weren't feeing it so I'd guess it isn't that bad to move at this point but regardless live sand once stirred up like that will cycle some, it has been proven that even a thin bed will nitrify almost as much as as DSB, only difference is the DSB can hold more in the long run. Nothing wrong with all glass silicone it just cost more.

Your SB?
Keep it just put it in a separate container with a little water, when your ready for the tank to go back up dump it in first. It will settle & if any noticeably cycle, it should be short & catch up quickly. I don't see it hurting anything as Krish mentioned it shouldn't make a big impact, besides you have no fish in the tank right now so you can't hurt anything LOL!

How should I try to clean it? as I mentioned before, I'm sure there is a lot of the shedding from the rocks trapped in the sand bed.

I would try to suck out what detritus you can & just use it like that, regardless in time it will build up just as much if not more with fish. If your worried about it this soon then wait until you get a loaded tank & see what collects there. It is part of keeping a sb that requires regular upkeep.

OK I'll see what I can do to clean it as much as possible. I think my next tank will be bare bottom. The more I see them, the more I like them...

Last edited:
I got home early Today, check out my tank now. I had the acrylic sheets cut so I will install them later on Tonight.

11cw5.jpg

Also check out how dirty the sand bed was.

22sb8.jpg

That there should be enough for you to go BB LOL!
They are easier to remove Detritus & that my friend is key in this hobby of ours if you want to push your tank to the limits as we all do these days LOL!

That there should be enough for you to go BB LOL!
They are easier to remove Detritus & that my friend is key in this hobby of ours if you want to push your tank to the limits as we all do these days LOL!

To go BB?

I finished installing the sheets, I will be sealing the edges Tomorrow as you suggested it. We'll see how it goes...

Should look good Carlos, lets get this tank together & with fishes, I'm sure your ready & you were sooooo Close:D

I will put everything back together on Friday afternoon and YES I'M READY!!! I need to have something alive in there. Hopefully by next week.

Back