Carlos 60 gallon new tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I wanna know what that white thing with the green tip is! Two clicks left of the arrow. :)

Carlos looking SWEET.
Great job guys Krish75,Meche,scooter,ETC for helping this guy out. Two thumbs up!
Karma all the way around

Last edited:
10 weeks...

Good news, Nitrates finally started to go down, I tested my water Today and they are at 35!!!

Now let's just hope they stay that way, just wanted to share that with you all.

By the way, what do you guys think about getting an UV sterilizer?

Last edited:
Congrats on the nitrates going down Carlos!!! About the UV sterilizer it will be a personal choice there. MAny people use them and some people don't I've never used one nor ever found the need for one in my case. They are supposed to be good at killing algae spores in the water and free floating parasites, but like I said, I never had an issue so I never got one:)

Hi Carlos, Congrats on the better water quality, still would try to get the traits down some then,
I would make a trip to the LFS & pick up a few hermits, maybe a few snails first, acclimate them well. This will be a good tester to see how well your water really is, get your tank well established before getting an expensive starter kit. Have you decided on a fish selection yet?

I'm going to wait a week more to see if the Nitrates keep going down but I like that idea of getting a few snails and hermits just to be sure I'm on the right track.

I really haven't decide on my fish selection but I plan to get a pair of True Percula just to start. I also like the Royal Gramma, Banggai Cardinal, Firefish Goby, Yellow Tang, Flame Angel, Squareback Anthias, Bicolor Blenny, Green Chromis, BUT I haven't done my homework on fishes yet so I don't know.

Any suggestions?

I'd get a hardy fish and the green chromis may be the way to go. I started out with blue chromis in my first ever saltwater setup and they did great:)

I really haven't decide on my fish selection but I plan to get a pair of True Percula just to start. I also like the Royal Gramma, Banggai Cardinal, Firefish Goby, Yellow Tang, Flame Angel, Squareback Anthias, Bicolor Blenny, Green Chromis.
Any suggestions?

The perculas are a good choice, the yellow tang & chromis of any kind can & will eventually be aggressive, add those last. I angel would wait until your tank is well matured. The cardinal, goby, gramma, blenny should all be good fish to start off with.
:p

I know I asked this already but I'm scared of flooding my carpet and my down stairs neighbor's apartment.

What do you guys think of this Swing Check Valve to prevent back siphoning?

FT9044.jpg

Last edited:
They stick! :D

In time they can cause problems if your relying on it, as a back-up maybe so. Keep it cleaned every so often if you do decide to use it.

I would like to fix the problem by drilling a few holes, I just don't know where to make them. Last time I tried I ended up creating a small fountain which I had to patched up immediately since it was getting my lights wet.

You need to place them just above the water line & pointing down into the tank, more so you want at least two, & make sure you check them often. I don't have any, (knock on wood) I have a loc-line return inside the tank, It goes way out the water then just the tip is put back under the water line about 1" which stops the siphon. I need to drill a few holes in it at the bottom side of the loc-line just to be even safer. Post a Pic up close to your return outlet, or outlets, maybe we can spot you a good place.

Try drilling a hole right in the 90 at the bottom on each then test it. What should happen the water in the overflow should drop until it gets to the hole then it will suck in air & break the siphon. Make them about 1/8" or maybe even 3/16". The power goes out, the pump stops pumping water into the tank, the drain continues to drop because of gravity, and the returns start back siphoning. Then the water drops below these holes, the siphon should break. Make sense? I know they look like threaded elbows & this would be a pain to do but worst case you would just have to suffer through replacing them if it doesn't work. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

Back