Centerpiece tank - check out my design!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

JRF

Hi
Attached is my CAD drawing of a new tank project we are taking on. Tank is viewable form all sides, and will be placed in the middle of the living room. Overflow is built slightly off center to alllow more room for rockwork , but also let the rockwork and corals be viewed from all 3 sides..A dry raceway will also be built into the overlow to allow power cords from lights, ect to be run down into the stand , instead of cords being draped across one side of the tank. This idea sprang from some cylindrical tanks I have seen, but wanted to be a bit different in the shape. Tank should be here sometime middle of October....
JRF

one thing i am wondering about is how hard will it be to clean in the corners. since they are not 90 degrees a mag float wont be able to get all the way in

one thing i am wondering about is how hard will it be to clean in the corners. since they are not 90 degrees a mag float wont be able to get all the way in

Hi Loohunter, thanks and glad to be part of this forum...I will have to use a long handle scrubber to get into the corners, and/or a plastic blade ( since the tank is acrylic )..
Will post pics when the tank arrives sometime in Oct....!

Looks great! Who's building the tank?
Also, do you have an equipment list or anything you could post.
I'm definitely going to be following along!

The tank is being built by Tenecor. As for equipment, Im not sure on everything yet except for the following:
Skimmer - Reef concepts ( see Franks website www.reefconcepts.com )
Lighting - probably the Lumenbrite MH pendant - 250 or 400 watt..
Return pump - Reefflo, because of the quiet operation

all other equipment I havnt decided upon.

what is the height of this and maybe give it an idea to put two overflows in each back corner, then u wont have to clean those corners daily and get more flow for such a big tank, assuming it will have at least 2-3 feet...

That is a very interesting project! That tank looks to be what 250-300 gal? I'd have to bust out my calculator hehe. Is it currently being built? I would move the centerpiece off the wall alittle more, 14 inches isn't very much to aquascape if you are planning on putting rockwork back there.

The dry section is awesome. Are you going to hang the lights or build a canopy? Are you worried about the MH cords hanging down under the pendant? Cant wait to see it built.

Hi and thanks for all the comments/suggestions! The tank will be 36 inches tall ( we were going to make it 34 inches tall but decided to go ahead and get a full 3 feet ). I have had experience with tall acrylic tanks before, so I am used to the cleaning ritual! Actaully the total gallons is around 200. Yes, aquascaping will be a challenge, but we love a challenge over here!! We decided to locate the overflow a little off center in the tank to allow more room for rockwork, at least on one side, but still allow viewing of the rockwork and corals from all 3 sides..( will probably arrange the rockwork in a horse-shoe pattern around the overflow, and go up as high as possible using pvc pipe drilled through the rocks to support )..

Oh and for the lights, YEs, I will have an open top canopy with the MH hanging from the ceiling. Probably only one 400 watt fixture hanging just "in front " of the overflow, instead of directly over the overflow opening..
Thanks!

i would be worried about having only1 overflow in 5 years when a turbo snail gets stuck in there what are u going to do

in my observations on triangle corners on a reef is pain in the bum and bigger sized fish dont seem to like them

i would be worried about having only1 overflow in 5 years when a turbo snail gets stuck in there what are u going to do

in my observations on triangle corners on a reef is pain in the bum and bigger sized fish dont seem to like them

Well,I know what you mean but In all my tanks over the last 15 years Ive always had just one overflow with multiple drains/returns inside. Also, Ive never seen a turbo snail be able to get through the teeth of the overflow box, due to the shell and there is no way for a snail to be able to creep up over the top edge and down into the box.
I dont plan on keeping large reef fish, just a few small fish. Yes, it will be a pain to aquascape, I totally agree ,but I love a good challenge. :D

Thanks!

I dont think you will have a problem with drain at all. If you were really worried about it you could push a mesh guard, concave down, above each of your drains. I've had turbos get up and over the teeth but I always mesh my drains.

So with a tank that large and no large fish, what are you going to use to fill the space? I think it would be kinda cool if you placed all of your rockwork from the overflow to the farthest corner creating two acute angles. You may have a problem with flow though :(

Hi Bojangles
I like your idea about the rockwork buidling out from the overflow to the corner...I will try that!
The current fish plan as of now is something like this:
3 anthias
3 or 4 chromis
1 cardinal
1 wrasse of some sort
maybe a goby
maybe a clown - percula

I will try to place the rock in the tank to allow for good coral growth, to fill in the space!

Thanks!

Back