Chase Ojala's 30x30x18

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

iroll253

Picked one of these up last week. 70g 30x30x18 Marine-land tank. I built the stand from a much wider one, made it shorter and deeper. I had all the scrap wood and the paint in the garage. For this reason, along with having to go out and buy black paint I took a risk and went with white, even with the imperfect black silicone job. I am going BB so i also painted the bottom of the tank white.

Things left to do;
Figure out light hanging system, Plumb, Paint the inside of stand and Transfer Livestock

IMAG0051.jpg

IMAG0052.jpg

IMAG0053.jpg

IMAG0057.jpg

IMAG0058.jpg

IMAG0059.jpg

Last edited:
good looking stand you made, i think the white in the back and the stand are going to make everything pop. I also went with the risk of painting one of my tanks with white, it came out nice and it really does make everything pop :D
keep chuggin
im taggin along

My 20x16x12 rimless acrylic is for sale on craigslist actually, and i still have the rimless glass 19x12x12 for cheap if anyone wants it. Thanks!

Last edited:
Yes its siding left over from my house I believe, in the first pic I filled the gaps and screws with putty. Beside the tank, I haven't spent a dollar on this project. Everything used was left over from the house. I don't mind the look and really didn't want to buy panels, so I used what i had. Heres pics on the stand finished, leak testing, and current fill up before I transfer the sump. Thinking about getting a bigger sump soon maybe a 29 or 37g. I also drilled a third hole since this will be in my bedroom and I would prefer a quieter herbie overflow over the durso provided.

IMAG0078.jpg

IMAG0083.jpg

IMAG0084.jpg

IMAG0085.jpg

IMAG0086.jpg

Last edited:
Haha!!! I said I love that shape and my wife looks over! Must have though I was looking at girls :lol:. Realling looking forward to this! :)

hahah, I have 100lbs of rock so I don't know if I should pack it or do a simplistic bonsai-ish two island style scape.. All of my livestock has been swapped over but my sump is not connected yet. Will have a pic in the morning to show. Hopefully the build will be done by tomorrow night.

Purchase expectations in the next 6 months would be a bigger sump/ possible fuge, a swc 160 cone, reef keeper light with ph probe, and mp 40.

I made sure the overflow was well tested before putting the pressure of the water on it and it has held beautifully over night. Now to get this thing plumbed. All of these photos are with my cell phone, Ill make sure to take out my D3100 when im done and get some clearer pics.

IMAG0087.jpg

IMAG0088.jpg

IMAG0090.jpg

IMAG0093.jpg

lol no, its the 20ish lbs from my nano and another 20ish from the garage. I don't know if I should addd it all at once or 20 lbs a month.. Any suggestions? I had no option to cycle the tank. Im figuring changing 5g's every week for the first few months would do the trick before switching to 15-20g's monthly. I also swapped over 30 gallons from my old system but thats including the sump. soo.. i'd say 55 out of 85 gallons is fresh from reef crystals.

Plumbing is done waiting for pvc glue to dry before leak testing.

Last edited:
Everything seems to be sealed. Right now I'm running a mag 2 on the tank for return so i have removed the overflow insert due to the lack of return head. Am waiting on a mag 9.5. As you can see I had to do some couplings since I didn't want to buy new union valves it is a little ghetto but when I have the door made it will be out of sight. It sure was a tight squeeze. Am tired but tomorrow after work ill show pics of the cords all sip tied and clean. Still waiting on rock suggestions before I start aqua scaping. The rock bucket is about half of it from the garage and are select pieces.

Parameters day 2 with water
Salinity 1.026
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 0
Phosphate 0
Kh 10
Calcium 480
Mag 1450

IMAG0100.jpg

IMAG0101.jpg

IMAG0102.jpg

IMAG0103.jpg