coral reff newb/am i getting ripped off

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

skynoverya550

hey guys, i brand new to the coral reef world, im in the process of building a new home as well, i met with a local fish guy in town and this is what he came up with. i know nothing about reef tanks but am getting into it. my question is what do you think i should pay for this set-up. any suggestions or comments please!

(1)Custom acrylic 200 gallon 67"x20"x34" with 3 sided overflows/drychamber centered on black back,two sides are black,1" thick body,3/4" thick top and bottom.

(1)R30 refugium/reservoir

(1)Bullet 2 protein skimmer with gen x pex-40 pump and collection cup

(1)Gen x pex 70 pump

(1)aqua light pro 48" fixture with 2-250watt metal halide 10,000k,2-96 watt pc actinic and 3-led moon lights.

(1)1/3 HP quiet chiller

(1)MPRO 25 RO/DI unit with ASO valve and plastic float valve with drinking water kit

(1)octopus 400 computer monitoring and controlling system,custom kit includes labratory grade tempurature,ph,orp probes,(3)x-10 controls for heater,lights and pump,(1) usr modem and pager control & remote access,(1) 9 volt battery back up & power fail indicator.

(280)LB premium live figi rock

(10) live reef sand-20lb bag

(200)Gallons premium RO mixed saltwater

(1) dual power center/timer

(1)SCWD wavemaking device

any good?

Well some of that stuff I do not know the price on, but 280 lbs of live rock has a normal retail of at least $2800. The light system you describe is almost identical to mine and should cost about $800. That is not enough light in my opinion for a tank that size if you want to keep SPS coral. Great for LPS or softies though. I use that much lighting on my 75 gal. Chillers are a couple hundred bucks. I'm not sure what that tank runs but I imagine around 1K. So if that is set up and installed I would imagine somewhere in the $6500-$8000 range is about right unless there is some other high price item I am missing.

Wow!
I would never pay $2800 for 280 pounds of rock!
Nor would I pay $8,000 for that system. Guess I have a smaller budget or am cheap.
Look through the equipment for sale forum here and see what comperable sysytems have sold for

Welcome to RF!! Hope you enjoy it here:) As for the setup, sounds pretty good so far. The only thing I don't really see much mentioned of is flow for the tank other than the Gen-x which I'd assume is for the sump return. If they plan to use the SCWD on that pump, be prepared to lose a bit of flow as the SCWD's are said to make you lose quite a bit of flow (I've heard atleast 30%). In any event, if that is the only pump being used, you will need more flow for the tank (if this is the Gen-X I'm thinking of that puts out about 1500 gph of flow). How much more will all depend on what corals you plan to keep as some require more flow than others. In any event, you asked how much we think you should pay for a setup like you listed and honestly I couldn't say. That tank alone I would imagine will atleast $1500 or more depending on who is building it. I guess we'll see what the others think. I live in the Bahamas and prices are way different:p Good luck!:)

well here, for the hell of it ill give the prices he quoted.

(1)Custom acrylic 200 gallon 67"x20"x34" with 3 sided overflows/drychamber centered on black back,two sides are black,1" thick body,3/4" thick top and bottom. 3900.00

(1)R30 refugium/reservoir 460.00

(1)Bullet 2 protein skimmer with gen x pex-40 pump and collection cup 960.00

(1)Gen x pex 70 pump 324.00

(1)aqua light pro 48" fixture with 2-250watt metal halide 10,000k,2-96 watt pc actinic and 3-led moon lights. 1938.00

(1)1/3 HP quiet chiller 990.00

(1)MPRO 25 RO/DI unit with ASO valve and plastic float valve with drinking water kit 475.00

(1)octopus 400 computer monitoring and controlling system,custom kit includes labratory grade tempurature,ph,orp probes,(3)x-10 controls for heater,lights and pump,(1) usr modem and pager control & remote access,(1) 9 volt battery back up & power fail indicator. 1405.99

(280)LB premium live figi rock 1397.20 4.99(lb)

(10) live reef sand-20lb bag 350.00 35.00(lb)

(200)Gallons premium RO mixed saltwater 200.00 1.00(lb)

(1) dual power center/timer 58.00

(1)SCWD wavemaking device 69.99

misc plumbing supplies/delivery installation 800.00

tax 1000.00

= expensive tank!

So basically he is asking for way to much. So where do you guys get 180 lbs of LR for $800. Granted I wouldn't pay $10 a pound either, especially for that much quantity, but if you don't have a hook up then that is what it cost retail, at least around here. I can get good cycled LR with a moderate amount of corraline for $7 a lb, but its good enough that I have always stocked tanks that I set up for people in anywhere from 48 hours to a week depending on how impatient they are. The rock I get produces almost no die off and cycle. But for that to work/be worth it you need to get it from the dealer tank into your tank in less than 45 mins. I ocassionaly throw like 20lbs at a time in my tank to "purple it up" for people and I get no cycle from it. You don't get that from stuff that has been shipped overnight so its not an apples to apples comparison. If your an established reefer I agree getting it cheap and cycling it yourself is the way to go. But around here people have money to burn and are impatient. They are willing to pay the extra $$$ to stock their tank now. I see people at the LFS paying the full $12 a pound that he asks and they buy 100-300 pounds for big tanks and I just shake my head. Then they buy used bio balls from him just so they can come back the next day and get livestock. But maybe I'm getting suckered too if peopel are getting good cycled LR for $4 a pound. I thought $7 a pound was a good deal.

That price is insane!! :eek: Especially for a first tank being new to the hobby and not knowing for sure if you will enjoy it or not. I mean who can hate a reef tank:p but there are some that do get frustrated with problems associated with it and quit. I'd shop around and check prices with the sponsers here a bit and see what you can come up with. Just a thought...In any event, you have to do what you feel comfortable with. Good luck!:)

Check out some of our sponsors' prices.

Marine depot and premium aquatics have some of the larger equipment selections.

edit: Welcome to Reef Frontiers! I hope you hang around a while and figure all of this mess out. It is a great hobby and an expensive one. Most of us are pretty hard on our local fish stores (LFS) because of their "best buy" approach to selling us equipment and live stock. Although, there certianly are some really cool LFSs out there too. I suggest that you do your research and take it slow, which it sounds like your doing. ;)

-Brett

Last edited:
I would thank your LFS for their time and look elsewhere for sure. Spend some time reading up on all the equipment before you buy anything. Theres nothing more expensive in this hobby then when you have to buy something twice because the first one wasnt good enough.
www.premiumaquatics.com is a good place to start out. They have good prices and are always willing to give you personalized help.
As far as tank and stands go, there are a couple of good builders that are sponsors here, and if your willing to get a used tank and set things up yourself then there is a good equipment for sale forum.

Just for reference you shouldn't be paying more than about $550 for the bullet 2 with the pump brand new. The pcx 70 pump should only run you about $150 new.

Brian

So if that is set up and installed I would imagine somewhere in the $6500-$8000 range is about right unless there is some other high price item I am missing.

At the end of the day... I think Redrooster is in the ballpark for a tank such as you described. You can whittle away a few bucks here and there on some of your line items but you won't do it for very much less unless you scramble and find a bunch of used equipment. There is a lot out there though, from those who move or give up or upgrade.

(1)aqua light pro 48" fixture with 2-250watt metal halide 10,000k,2-96 watt pc actinic and 3-led moon lights. 1938.00
check this link...$769.00 for the same unit!!! that is only the first site that i looked on..it could be cheaper somewhere else!!!forget telling your lfs "thanks for your time", i would make a point to let everybody around know how they operate!!!! that's highway robbery, and that is only one single item!!!!!!!!!!!

check this link...$769.00 for the same unit!!! that is only the first site that i looked on..it could be cheaper somewhere else!!!forget telling your lfs "thanks for your time", i would make a point to let everybody around know how they operate!!!! that's highway robbery, and that is only one single item!!!!!!!!!!!

The joys of the Coachella valley

Just agreeing with the others by saying that you could do alot more if you shop around! I have a 240gal tank and i was able to do everything without a "real" job:shock:

good luck though:)

-augustus

having way cool folks doesn't hurt either:D

Okay, i am not going to argue about that:D :D
But, the only thing i really bought was the tank, lights, and misc equipment. Otherwise i try to make everything or only buy stuff when it is a really good deal. Almost all my stuff is second hand and it works just as good:)

-augustus

Back