cross's 10gl nano build

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Looks good!

Only a slight overhang on the light lol.

yah, just a few inchs. only about 15" overhang...lol

i need to build a hood then do the retro light kit with shorter bulbs. i also need to diy a fuge light for the skilter. any ideas?

I think you need a 30gallon + for a clarkii clown, they get to be like 6inches. So pretty big for a clownfish. I personally don't know anything about cardinal fish so hopefully someone else will chime in on that.

I think you need a 30gallon + for a clarkii clown, they get to be like 6inches. So pretty big for a clownfish. I personally don't know anything about cardinal fish so hopefully someone else will chime in on that.

yah, the clarkii's get like 6 inches. right now he's only like 2 1/2 or 3" but i will need to rehome him i guess.http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=170506 has anyone seen this diy fuge light? this is what i think im going to do for my skilter fuge.

Last edited:
lights went out and the diy moon lights came on, i used two LED night lights. i need to space them out more, it kinda looks like a car with the high beams on about to drive into the tank.:)

Good looking moon lights, are they blue or white? I think you will be happy with the T5 lights once they are cut down to fit the tank.

Good looking moon lights, are they blue or white? I think you will be happy with the T5 lights once they are cut down to fit the tank.

thank you, they are the blue. got them at wal-mart. 4 for $5 and they have sencers. do you think i will be able to keep sps or lps with the cut down t5's? like the light you had?

thank you, they are the blue. got them at wal-mart. 4 for $5 and they have sencers. do you think i will be able to keep sps or lps with the cut down t5's? like the light you had?

T5's will be great on that tank, a little less wattage but more "punch". The light I had was PC, but more wattage. The T5's will do great with sps, lps, and softies. Shoot me a PM in about a week, I will have a few freebie frags to help you get started, if you are interested. Presently I am treating the frag tank for a possible???? bacterial infection, should be done tomorrow, but I want to make sure I killed the bug. Seems to just be infecting my zoas though.

T5's will be great on that tank, a little less wattage but more "punch". The light I had was PC, but more wattage. The T5's will do great with sps, lps, and softies. Shoot me a PM in about a week, I will have a few freebie frags to help you get started, if you are interested. Presently I am treating the frag tank for a possible???? bacterial infection, should be done tomorrow, but I want to make sure I killed the bug. Seems to just be infecting my zoas though.

i shure will, thank very much.

i have a question, if i use 5gl of water from my 55gl tank and the rest fresh mixed, along with rock and live sand from my 55gl will i still have a cycle in this 10gl?

I just started my nano in September and used water from big tank. I did my water tests and since they were all good I put in the stock. Its been almost a month and every thing is doing great.

Hey, I just realized that someone already answered the water question. But on the Cardinal fish - yes. Lee told me that it would be a great addition to mine.

Hey, I just realized that someone already answered the water question. But on the Cardinal fish - yes. Lee told me that it would be a great addition to mine.

thank you for the reply. and thank you for the usherance on the cardinal. do you have a 10 gl.?

thank you for the reply. and thank you for the usherance on the cardinal. do you have a 10 gl.?

Sorry Cross, I guess I was thinking your tank was a 20g like mine. I should have been more careful. I actually had looked at a thread from another forum and it said that 20g was a minimum for a cardinal. It also listed some appropriate fish for a 10 g as follows: clown gobie, eviota gobie, redhead goby, trimma goby, yellow neon goby, citron goby, green banded goby, green chromis damsel, yellowtail blue damsel (I have one of these) and ocellaris clown (I have 2).
I did have a Klausewitz's Blenny at first in my nano but he jumped out after a week and I was sick when I found his dessicated little body :cry:
I wish I could remember the thread.

Sorry Cross, I guess I was thinking your tank was a 20g like mine. I should have been more careful. I actually had looked at a thread from another forum and it said that 20g was a minimum for a cardinal. It also listed some appropriate fish for a 10 g as follows: clown gobie, eviota gobie, redhead goby, trimma goby, yellow neon goby, citron goby, green banded goby, green chromis damsel, yellowtail blue damsel (I have one of these) and ocellaris clown (I have 2).
I did have a Klausewitz's Blenny at first in my nano but he jumped out after a week and I was sick when I found his dessicated little body :cry:
I wish I could remember the thread.

i am sorry for your lose. thats to bad about my cardinal to, dang i just got him to. well i guess i will have to let him go, he is still small thought. do you think i could have a pair of ocellaris clowns in this tank if thats the only fish i keep in there?

update on this tank. i checked the perams to day and they are as folows. PH 8.4, nitrait 5.0, nitrite 0, phosphate 0.5, ammonia 0, salinity 1.026 and temp is 78.5. this is using the rock and sand from my 55 that has been up for 6 months. i was also woundering if i could mix say 5 or 10 gallons of salt water and store it for water changes? will i need to keep it cerculating with a powerhead while its wating to be used?

I honestly think the Cardinal will be fine in the 10 gallon as they are pretty stationary, it would probably be the only fish in the tank though since they get decent size.

Back