cross's 10gl nano build

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I honestly think the Cardinal will be fine in the 10 gallon as they are pretty stationary, it would probably be the only fish in the tank though since they get decent size.

I agree with mgdmirage. Cardinal's don't move around much and it probably would be fine. I just hate to see a fish without a friend. Seems like solitary confinement.

update on this tank. i checked the perams to day and they are as folows. PH 8.4, nitrait 5.0, nitrite 0, phosphate 0.5, ammonia 0, salinity 1.026 and temp is 78.5. this is using the rock and sand from my 55 that has been up for 6 months. i was also woundering if i could mix say 5 or 10 gallons of salt water and store it for water changes? will i need to keep it cerculating with a powerhead while its wating to be used?

I always keep my salt water mixed up for a couple of days before a water change. I know they say you're supposed to keep it circulating but I don't - I just give it a good stirring every time I walk by.

yah, i would like at least 2 fish, how about a pair of ocalareis clowns?

People do that but i believe it's a bit much. I think some breeders even use 10 gallon setups for their clowns, but i would hate to force them to live in such cramped quarters.

A firefish goby and one other small goby could work.

Shoot me a PM in about a week, I will have a few freebie frags to help you get started, if you are interested. Presently I am treating the frag tank for a possible???? bacterial infection, should be done tomorrow, but I want to make sure I killed the bug. Seems to just be infecting my zoas though.

hows your frags doing? hope you get it worked out. please don't forget about me:D. thanks

Last edited:
Nope, I won't forget. Tank is done being treated, only one colony is closed up, not actually sure if it is from any infection or if I overreacted to them being closed up, based on what was happening in my DT, and I killed them from the dips I put them through. :D I am going to wait a bit and see if they dye off and make sure nothing else looks bad, so far so good.

hows your frags doing? hope you get it worked out. please don't forget about me:D. thanks

Nope, I won't forget. Tank is done being treated, only one colony is closed up, not actually sure if it is from any infection or if I overreacted to them being closed up, based on what was happening in my DT, and I killed them from the dips I put them through. :D I am going to wait a bit and see if they dye off and make sure nothing else looks bad, so far so good.

I hope it all works out for you Tony. The wife is getting into zoas a bit now so perhaps in a couple months when you are frag ready I'll buy some off of ya :D.

I hope it all works out for you Tony. The wife is getting into zoas a bit now so perhaps in a couple months when you are frag ready I'll buy some off of ya :D.

Sounds good, I will let you know when they are ready.

update!

got this from another site. this is the DIY fuge light i just built for my skilter fuge.

parts, all from home depot

gang box
6' extention cord
orange wire nuts
weather resist bulb adapter
day light CFL bulb

all i did was cut the nail and top part off so it was a box. then drilled a 1 1/4" hole for the bulb adapter. then put the adapter in, cut the end off the extention cord and wire nuted them to gether. put the bulb in and whala. very easy and cheap. u can cover the bulb with plexi or something, i left it open.

That is sweet, nice job. Do you plan on keeping it mounted on the side of the fuge? If so, just remember to keep the side of the fuge free from algae, otherwise light will not be able to get in. :) I thought about mounting a light on the side of my tank, but decided to top mount it so I did not have to worry about keeping the inside of the refugium clean, just a thought, either way will work, always more than one way to do things in this hobby. :D

That is sweet, nice job. Do you plan on keeping it mounted on the side of the fuge? If so, just remember to keep the side of the fuge free from algae, otherwise light will not be able to get in. :) I thought about mounting a light on the side of my tank, but decided to top mount it so I did not have to worry about keeping the inside of the refugium clean, just a thought, either way will work, always more than one way to do things in this hobby. :D

thank you, at first i had it on top but it was letting light into the tank and my DIY moon lights would'nt come on so i put it on the side. i'll have to keep that side clean. it kinda gives a glow behind the tank now, but the tank is painted so no light gets in the tank.

Looks good, also remember to keep an eye on the tank temperatures since the CF bulbs put out some heat, and you have it on a small volume of water.

thank you too.i had it on top of the fuge last night, got up this morning and the temp read 82 now that its on the side the temp is 79.5. i'll have to keep an eye on it, and find a way to combat it if it gets to high.

Another thing that may help with the heat is perhaps venting the gang box at the highest point to let heat escape. I am no DIY guru or anything though so I may just be spitting out gibberish heh.

Back