Dedicated circuit

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

baker89

Hey guys I'm looking to dedicate two outlets in my living room to the tank and was wondering if you had any recommendations? Usually I like to do this stuff myself, but this kind of makes me nervous lol. It would have to go from the living room through the kitchen and outside where our circuit breaker box is.Thanks!Dennis

I hear you on doing it yourself. I added two 20A circuits for my tank but I'm fortunate that I didn't have to deal with any interior walls or ceilings, aside from cutting holes to add the two old work receptacle boxes. Since you're dealing with interior walls you'll probably want it to still look nice when you're done, and I know your wife will (assuming you're married) I'd probably hire this out to an electrician to pull the wires through. I hate to say that because the actual installation job isn't that difficult but it would be a bummer to get into it and damage drywall so that you've got repairs to make when your project is done.

Mike

use atleast 12/2 w/ ground. yellow wire. scence it is a outlet you have to. and run backwords. get the wire to the hole you created be it under house or by attic and drop the other end in on you service panal. turn off the panal before you put anything in the panal. now go back to the hole and wire you outlet. the black wire is hot and that goes to the gold plate or the outlet. the white is netural and that goes to the siver plated on the outlet. the green is your ground and that goes to the green screw on the outlet. if you are useing a metal box you need to attach the green to it as well. now screw in the outlet to the box. go to the wire that you laid and pull the extras semi-tight. and staple if you are going to. go to the service panal. the middle is hot. untill you turn off the panal and can burn you really bad or kill. now then with it off place our braker in the slott. and cut the wire insulation off at the top of the box. run the wire allong the side of the box all pretty like the others blacke goes to the middle at your new braker. white and green get twisted up together and put in the bar allong the side that is your ground bar. that should :help: you out. :gh:

Okay thanks for the advice I'll look around my area and see if I can get some quotes for this. I live in a condo so I can't exactly go up in the attic... And I have no idea if I can get under this place...Dennis

Yep there is nothing like owning your own house where u can tear stuff up and fix it later... All though I wouldn't want to burn my house down... It is rather easy to do but since u are In a condo and your actions will affect someone else I too would say to hire the job out...

Ditto on the condo aspect. If you were living in a single family house I'd say no worries, but considering you're in a condo that is a whole other story. If ou DIY and something did happen,such as a fire to the building, you would be liable and the insurance probably would not cover the damage.

Better to just leave it to the pros. Be sure to check with the homeowners association rules and regulations about anything that would be done to the exterior or if there are any bylaws that pertain to remodel jobs (electrical upgrades).

Look forward to seeing a build thread once you get started. Everyone almost always likes to see those. :lol:

Cheers,
Alex

I thought that with condos you own it. Or are you talking about the whole building.

Well, you kind of own it in the respect that after 20 or 30 years you wont be making payment to the bank. You will still have HOA dues. In most condo's you share alot of interior walls, a foundation, roof, some exterior walls and the list goes on. If you perform any substandard work that causes your neighbor or the HOA money you will be liable. Also, you cant simply start rewiring or remodeling without HOA approval in most cases.
FWIW, wire moulding is really only intended to hide lamp cord or speaker wire, not romex 12-2 or 12-3. Adding home runs (new dedicated circuits) to a breaker box in a condo should be done properly if not for the sake of liability but for resale value when its time to move.

If you find the condo homeowner's rules allow you to make such an improvement yourself, then get a permit thru your city as most cities allow the 'homeowner' to do basic electrical work themselves (as opposed to hiring an electrician). I point this out simply to clarify some of the comments above concernin liability, fire, etc. There is no increased risk on the subject of liability, fire, etc to you for wiring yourself as long as you don't bypass the permit. However, it may be a mute point

I do own the condo, but I would have to agree that this needs to be done by a pro in case the wiring will affect the people around me. Plus I would have no idea how to pull the wires through the walls without having access to above or below. I called "Washington Electric" and talked to Eric and he seems very knowledgable. Anyone ever do business with them? They have great reviews.Also I did a little math and If I had everything I wanted on this tank and both 350w heaters were on I would be looking at about 1600w. So do you think I should have both outlets on one 20a? Or have both outlets on their own? I think that might be overkill tho...I think 20a are good for about 2400w? And then have some GFCI's put in? Anything else I should have?

I would call around and get a few quotes most electrical companies charge T&M (time and materials). $120 for the first hour and $100 for every hour after that...and yes one dedicated 20A circuit would do just fine for 1600w. A 20a is good for continuous load of 1920w (120x20x80% = 1920w) but if you are wanting 2,3,4 outlets you can just toss a 2,3 or 4 gang box and make the first outlet a GFCI and the rest of the outlets off the load side of the GFCI.

Man what a great site... Helpfull info here... If it was me.... You mays well have 2 20amp breakers put in... Just because it will cost you more money if one is not enough and also because... Again if it was me I would be looking to upgrade the tank and I would need more power to run a bigger tank... This is just me though and I am never satisfied!!

I think this 250g is going to be big enough for my condo lol! I wasn't even planning on upgrading untill I got a a bigger house but we wanted to put hardwood floors in so... Anyway Ill probably ask them to quote both ways and then depending on the price. I certainly dont think I will need 2 20amp but it it isn't that much more I might anyway...

Well think about this... How much is just 1... Then times that by 2 because if 1 is not enough then you will need them to come back...lol.. You should only be paying for the material because they should be able to pull both wires at the same time.. Should not add any more time to the job.. On my 210 I have 3 20 amp breakers.. I use one just for my lights... Hope this helps And good luck.. Are you going to do a build thread?

For a 250 I wouldn't use anything less than 2 20 amp breakers. The electrician will only have to pull one wire (romex) whether you add one or two breakers. He can simpy use 12/3 instead of 12/2 wire. This will have two hots and they both share a common nuetral and common ground. Much like a 240 circuit but the breakers aren't connected in the box. It definitely wont cost double.

Okay that's good to know I will probably do that then. I run led's tho so that's why my wattage isn't through the roof. Yes of course I'll make a build thread I just haven't gotten around to it. :(

Back