Denitrifier causing high ORP?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

winland

I have been using a Red Sea Aquazone Plus 100 on my 125g mixed reef system for several months. I have it set to 295 orp.

2 weeks ago I put a Midwest Aquatics Denitrifier on my tank to lower the nitrates a bit. Since that time, my ORP reading has shot up to 350 - 375orp.

The Aquazone does not generate any ozone when the reading is above 295 and in fact I have turned off the air pump for the Aquazone.

Is there a reasonable explanation for this high (375) reading?

winland

I have been using a Red Sea Aquazone Plus 100 on my 125g mixed reef system for several months. I have it set to 295 orp.

2 weeks ago I put a Midwest Aquatics Denitrifier on my tank to lower the nitrates a bit. Since that time, my ORP reading has shot up to 350 - 375orp.

The Aquazone does not generate any ozone when the reading is above 295 and in fact I have turned off the air pump for the Aquazone.

Is there a reasonable explanation for this high (375) reading?

winland

375 is not high. You should expect a rise in orp when using a denitrifier especially if your using a sulfur denitrifier.

Don

Thanks for the info.
Really appreciate the quick response.

winland

Your welcome. FWIW a orp probe should also be used with your denitrifier just for safety and ease of adjustment. The sulfur denitrifiers seem to be a good option but can shoot your orp up to dangerous levels much like O3.

Don

I see you are here too Winland :D

Don

There is not such thing as dangerous levels of ORP as long as those levels are not produced by oxidizer like ozone.

I see you are here too Winland :D

Don

There is not such thing as dangerous levels of ORP as long as those levels are not produced by oxidizer like ozone.

Damn now you tell me thats why I took mine offline. Koralin says just the oposite in the instruction manual.

Don

FWIW
I run my denitriter and my CA reactor effluent into a cup that has a airstone in it ,it then drips into the sump.

:)

Paul

Sorry Don. You never asked me and if you posted it I missed it ;)

Randy talks about it here. That way no typing :D I think Koraline is just confused and relating high ORP to values you get with things like ozone.

ORP and the Reef Aquarium
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-12/rhf/feature/index.htm

From one of our old posts

Randy

For those reading this thread, there is never ever any cause to be concerned about high ORP if you are not adding oxidizers like ozone.

Back