DIY Flow Enductor

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

wow spinner, you really are having fun with this one huh! Cool! I would be too if I were in the design phase of a new tank with a closed loop. I'm a bit jealous!

I told you for me your timing was spot on as i needed outlets for my build:) Yeah i am having fun with this one, i:cool: have four different designs//////////////

Those look pretty and all. But the big question is, how well do they work????
Can you guys stick it in a test tank and post some results?? I need to know which model to build!!! I would hate to go out and waste $5 !!! LOL

You guys have done a great job on the R&D on these fixtures. Looking forward to making some for my large tank. Just need to know what color works best!!

Dave the numbers are a 78.492% increase in volume. .91053 decease in force. 1.6093% increase in mass. .0094 G-force at the corals base .0065 at the growth tips, 700fltbs torque.... and 645 bph at the rear wheels!

Those look pretty and all. But the big question is, how well do they work????
Can you guys stick it in a test tank and post some results?? I need to know which model to build!!! I would hate to go out and waste $5 !!! LOL

You guys have done a great job on the R&D on these fixtures. Looking forward to making some for my large tank. Just need to know what color works best!!

COME ON PEPPIE you know we don't test DIY's it only matters that they are pretty:) And yes i see PINK & WHITE with your build...lol

Dave the numbers are a 78.492% increase in volume. .91053 decease in force. 1.6093% increase in mass. .0094 G-force at the corals base .0065 at the growth tips, 700fltbs torque.... and 645 bph at the rear wheels!

YES what kpiotrowski said and that is in reverse forward adds 15% to 81% depending with who you ask:)

OK you two. I didnt just fall off the turnip truck. One knows to NEVER believe the Manufactures ratings. They always twist the number to please the masses.

That being said, I think an independent study needs to be done on each one of the four designs.
If you could send me 4 of each design, I would be happy to post my independent results!!!!

Each one of the 4, in all 4 designs must have a different color combination.

Thanks guys, look forward to posting my findings

Last edited:
Spinner, be sure to include in your instructions for dave which end you light and which end you smoke.:hippie:

Through heavy R&D i can now tell him which end to light.............O man i forgot again....back to the R&D:) I will send you both some to BETA test as soon as i remember where my house is////////

Sounds good! I have yet to make one for my 65g softie tank wich has a mag 9.5 return and 3/4 pipe. I will pm you my address....(and start askin some of the younger guys at work for some of that now legal stuff here in WA State lol.)

WOW! You guys are awesome, don't know how I missed this thread for so long... maybe a lil distracted :fish2: and a few to many projects going at once :juggle: But like for Spinner, perfect timing as just recieved my replacement SeaSwirl and since plumbing return needs to be taken apart might as well give this a go. Now with all those very cool options to choose from... what will I do ??? Also being an avid DIYer maybe I'll put my own twist on it hmmmm.....

Cheers, Todd

cool cool, I was shooting for a wide, short flow pattern so I didn't have to do much thinkin. keep in mind that although they increase flow the wider the pattern the more "force" or "velocity" you loose. shooting a 3/4 inch stream across a tank is sometimes desirable in creating turbulence, right.

OK, so finally got around to playin with this idea of yours and this is what I came up with below. First prototype, but seems like its doing pretty well. I could not find anything in my arsenal that would glue to the Loc-Line nozzle so snug fit a collar of Spa-Flex for this first go around. I would like to replace it with a few small shims to increase water flow through back.

parts & pieces used
DSCF0938.jpg

put together?
DSCF0941.jpg

a few shots in action
DSCF0951.jpg

DSCF0950.jpg

DSCF0948.jpg

Cheers, Todd

This is on my new 3/4" SeaSwirl return and using some scrap 1-1/4" grey pvc from an old skimmer. I drilled 3/16" holes every 1/2" around then dremmeled them out at an angle to better pull water through. It has increased and widened flow quite abit, and believe using the Loc-Line nozzle helps with needed acceleration to pull more water through inlets.

Cheers, Todd

Looks good Todd,
Do you think you would get a larger flow pattern if the gray pvc was bell shaped??

Yea Dave and already planning on it for round two. I need to find something in my shop to form the flair around after heating it up. Steven, it worked little to well still and had some sand dunes again but not quite as bad as nozzle alone. Took it back off to make some changes for next test run.

Cheers, Todd

Please keep us posted on how you create your flare.
I wasnt able to bribe Spinner into doing it.
A really hot pan of sand to dip just part of the PVC into may help your forming.

Back