DIY lighting upgrade

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

DaBrowns

I have an "Outer Orbit" by Current USA. It's the 48" model with dual 150W halides and dual 130w actinics...I'm wondering if it's "possible" to upgrade this thing by replacing the 150's with 250's?? I know it would require replacing the ballasts...but that's the extent of my knowledge...(barely enough to be dangerous) has anyone ever heard of a successful transition?

what size tank do you have? Im thinking of getting the outer orbit dual 150w halides w/ t5 unit for my 75gallon tank? do you think I should get the 250w halides instead? lastly, how do you find the quality of the currentusa unit/would you recommend it? or would you suggest me looking into a different unit?

actually I love it and would recommend it if you are going with an open tank. They are "kinda" spendy if bought new...and I would use the ceiling mounts since they allow you WAY more flexibility in terms of how close or far off the water you have them.

Oh yea...we have them over a 150...but we wanted to keep mostly LPS and softies...we CAN keep all but the most demanding SPS...tey just have to be WAY up on the rock.

Even if you changed the ballast you would have to consider the design was for 150's, the heat would be a major issue, possible fire hazard, I would not do that, sell it & get a replacement because all your missing would be the reflectors.

Back