DIY "Lumenarc" reflectors

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

isn't the solar sheet material just a bit thin and flimsey espesially with the heat from mh bulbs i wowld use somthing thicker here's a link to the good stuff http://anomet.com/cgi-bin/online/storepro.php sheck out the anolux miro-silver 98% reflectivity .020 thick this is what you should use for durable stiff reflectors

Last edited:
Not at all. It's about the same as aluminum flashing sheets as far as thickness go. Perfect for this project since it also makes it easy to cut and bend.

look's good man. thats what i'll do when i up grade!!
hey i was wondering... do you have a problem with your shure flows falling off the the walls of your tank when your using the suction cups like that? i mounted magnets on mine..

I gave this a try.
But after having the drawing I found enlarged, I had to do the main body in two pieces.
I also had to order the solar tube from Home Depot.com.

I have a few extra full sized plans if anyone wants to try this.

Very cost effective IMO. I paid a little over $50 for my solar tube and built 2 for my 125g. They work very well and are just as good as the real ones IMO.

Yep. But like I said it looks like the price of the extension tube is a bit more now judging from Homedepot website. Still cost effective though IMO.

Another even cheaper alternative is to use just regular aluminum sheet to build them THEN line the inside with this.

http://scientificsonline.com/produc...00423C27502&mr:referralID=NA&bhcd2=1218299361

http://usa.dupontteijinfilms.com/informationcenter/downloads/Physical_&_Thermal_Properties.pdf

Mylar melting point being 254C that's about 489F, more than enough to handle MH.

That is exactly what I did on my first one which was more of a test.

I had some mylar laying around from a previous project.
I can get all the aluminum sheeting (.020)I need from work.
Just used spray glue to adhere the mylar film to the aluminum.

That is exactly what I did on my first one which was more of a test.

I had some mylar laying around from a previous project.
I can get all the aluminum sheeting (.020)I need from work.
Just used spray glue to adhere the mylar film to the aluminum.

How did that come out Marty?

How did that come out Marty?

I only finished it far enough to make sure the panels would fit together, before going onto the final material..
I did cut all the pieces, just didn't put it all together.
It would make a fairly decent reflector, just not as good as the solar tube material.

Very cost effective IMO. I paid a little over $50 for my solar tube and built 2 for my 125g. They work very well and are just as good as the real ones IMO.

You got 2 reflectors from one 14"x20" solar tube?

What was the finished size of your reflectors?

The one I made is 14.5"x14.5"x7" and there is no way enough material left over to make another one.

No. I built 2 from a 14X48 tube. It was only a bit over $50 at Homedepot when I bought it but looks like the 14X20 is about $40 now, quite a price increase.

Back