DIY "Lumenarc" reflectors

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I ordered 95% reflective aluminum hammertone sheets from Specialty Lights and made these. They sell it in packs of 4 24"x48" sheets for $150. You can make 2 reflectors with 1 sheet, which works out to $18.75/reflector.

hammertone1_3-09.jpg

hammertone2_3-09.jpg

hammertone3_3-09.jpg

hammertone-tank_3-09.jpg

Last edited:
how big of a reflector could i make out of a sheet? What would be the limit on one sheet?
The sheet is 24" and the template to make the reflectors it about 22". I guess instead of making them 14.5"x14.5", you might be able to blow the template up a little more and get 15.5"x15.5". That would probably take up the 24".

These reflectors do not need that glass that keeps water from splashing on the bulbs?
I used SE bulbs so they don't need the glass shield. If you built them for DE bulbs, you would need a UV shield.

ANY ONE want to try and tackle a wierd shaped reflector??
I need one over my 29 gallon so it would only be about 10" one way but I would like it 16" the other way. a rectangle if you will

ANY ONE want to try and tackle a wierd shaped reflector??
I need one over my 29 gallon so it would only be about 10" one way but I would like it 16" the other way. a rectangle if you will

I would think the easiest way to do that Adam would be to make a 10" square one, cut it in half and add 6" center piece that matches the bends.

I made mine from a Velux Solar Extension tube from Lowe's for $39
I made 1 out of the Solar tube extension too. It didn't come out anywhere near as nice as the hammertone reflectors. The Solar tube is too flimsy and since it's not flat to begin with, I think the "ripples" may cause some hot spots. That's the main reason I went with the flat hammertone sheets.

reflector6_09.jpg

compared to

hammertone2_3-09.jpg

I made 1 out of the Solar tube extension too. It didn't come out anywhere near as nice as the hammertone reflectors. The Solar tube is too flimsy and since it's not flat to begin with, I think the "ripples" may cause some hot spots. That's the main reason I went with the flat hammertone sheets.

reflector6_09.jpg

compared to

hammertone2_3-09.jpg

how did you make your template to transfer it on to the hammertone to cut it out?

did you do the same as finn and print it out on a 8x11 peice of paper and then have it inlargered at kinkos or something?

i am going to bemaking mine as soon as a order it.

Yes, I printed it out and took it to Staples and had them blow it up 281%. That makes it fit on a 24"x24" sheet of paper. Then I cut it out and traced it.

reflector1_09.jpg

reflector2_09.jpg

for the template that you have there is that the same one that fine posted a page or two back?

Back