double dome aquarium ideas please!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

kpiotrowski

Kevin
Picked up this aprox 30x30x12 dome tank. ( aprox 20 inches dome to dome) 1/2 thick acrylic. aprox 50g. any ideas for unique uses???

pics are of it laying on its side due to bottom bulkhead ( to be plugged) and pretty much the whole top is open for access.

does the full top open? make a great display fuge.. you could light it from the back and get some great shadows and stuff from the macros.

or, moon jellies...

See now, this is why I asked here. I thought of none of those! I thought lionfish....then nuthin except goldfish lol.

sand water-falls are def cool! but may be too distorted through the dome.

I'm going to have to look up moon jellies...but the tank has 90dg corners on the inside. just convex bubbles on the two side of a 30inch square tank by 12 front to back.

lighting from the backside was a thought. thought of sanblasting the back side then putting a light blue colored light behind it.

there is alot of real cool stuff being done in freshwater planted that we could start taking lessons from. backlite tanks and sand waterfalls are examples of that.

ok, I'm re-thinking the sand water fall thing, that could be real cool!

I only got about 2.5 inches of height for substrate before its as high as where the bubble starts is also a consideration

yeah moon jellyfish would be cool. i have always wanted a moon jellyfish tank. you can have peppie do some acrylic work on them so the jellyfish flow around in a circle.

looked up the moon jellies and they seem to need to be below 75dg, so that means another chiller....and that tank would need like at least a dozen to look cool, and the only live like 6months I read, so at 3-for$100, 12 would be $400....twice a year.

unless someone can tell me the live longer and can handle 82dg in the summer??????

check out critters at the oregon aquarium in newport. really amazing stuff. what about deep water critters glass shrimps and planktonic fish lit from below with color changing led's for a nocturnal cave aproach....ooh ahh...

hmmm, liking the light from below with multiple colors to choose from! I kinda want to keep the cost down. no cool water. be nice If I could just piggy back it into my current filtration.

I have retro fitted many a tank for jelly fish. Just need to fab up 4 corner pieces so they don't get stuck in one. Water flow would need to be gentle. Just sayin', J

if it really is going to be as hard to light as it looks like it might be, it also might be a good candidate for an NPS tank.....

Yes hard to light. anemone's if I can figure a way to keep them off the front. and dude....its like 50g so not a nano.

I like the jellies. like the fuge. dwarf lion if I can clean it without bumping into him. maybe a puffer, cow fish, little humu etc. maybee just a school of blue damsels??? pipefish was also a good one!

I trying to look also for ideas on how to use the tank not just stock it.

i don't know if its what you meant by use it, but... it would look extra awesome mounted as a 'porthole' in a wall between two rooms.. view from either side... maybe throw what looks like a ships wheel in, and stock it with seahorses...oops, guess i'm stocking it again..

Back