Dwarf Seahorse Photos

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Wink

Crazy Seahorse Lady
Didn't want to hijack the other thread but by request, here are some pics of my dwarves and their 5 gallon hex. There are 20-25 in the hex (until that pregnant poppa pops, then there will be 10-20 more) plus I have another 30 or so in a 10 gallon. These guys are up to 1.5 inches. The white one with the cirri (hair like attachments used for camoflage) is no longer with us, but it's one of my coolest dwarf photos. I also have 4 full size (about 6 inch) seahorses of three different species and right now about 300 seahorse fry from 2 days to 2 months old.

Attachments

• pg dwarf.JPG
    pg dwarf.JPG
    94.8 KB
That's really cool! I think I saw when Nikki requested some Seahorse photos from you! Glad she did! Thanks for sharing:)

that is so cool those fella's are soo tiny. I was going to set up a tank and do the dwarf's but decided to not start any more projects. Thanks for sharing those are very cute!

The newborn dwarfs eat new hatched brine shrimp and copepods - the same as their parents eat. The larger species of seahorses eat mostly frozen mysis as adults but the fry start with rotifers, copepods, and new hatched brine shrimp. There are some species that can skip the rotifers - but not the ones I'm working with.

Those are so cool ! I would really love to get a pair of the larger ones one day - I've always loved the natural looking tanks with the little horses in there. :)

WOW! I'm so glad I found this thread! Great photos, Vicky. My daughter was also very excited to see them. In the second photo...is that a pregnant daddy?

Yes, Nikki, The second pic is a pregnant male. A pair can produce up to 25 fry every 10 days - they don't usually, but they can. Reidi which are one of the species of full size seahorses can produce over 500 fry every 14 days - and often do - just ask Wingnut (Travis).. his male has had an average of 500 fry on schedule every other Wednesday since 2/22. Unfortunately, survival rates for the bigger seahorse fry are very, very low - with most broods they are zero.

Anyone know why the survival rates of the larger horses are lower than the dwarves ? Aren't the drawves supposedly more difficult to keep ? Just what I've heard...

Back