Finally! Gina's (NanoReefer411's) 180+tank upgrade! =)

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

LOL, I'm not sure what to say, cool!! or gross!!! :D I just dumped my first cup and forgot to take pictures. :( Next time. It didn't smell all that great either.

I don't know why, but this reminds me of when folks get so excited over their first child's first poop. "Isn't it cute"? Ok, I know, I have a warped and twisted mind. :D

Just wait until the breakin period is over! I bet its going to produce some even nastier stuff for you!

Very nice tank/build! It's funny to see how many corals we all have in our tanks that have come from Kevin, Michael, Charlie, Rob, etc.

Great Job!

Ntswift/Matt-I can't wait until after the break in period. It is sure doing a good job so far! :)

DevonM-Thank you so much! Kevin said the Mille is actually from Charlie. I don't know why (of course), but the Mille has receded! I have lost two entire branches. I have not seen anyone pick on it. I checked my Alkalinity and Calcium. Alkalinity is 9.6, Calcium is 400. I have no idea what the problem is. It is, of course, the only coral in the tank doing it! UGH! It is so pretty. I have no idea what is going on. :( I hope it makes it! It is cool to see what corals people get from those locally. I think it's great! ;)

So, I lost my beautiful poccillopora colony Kevin gave me as a frag. I am really really sad about it. I also lost the new green Mille I got from Kevin. I had switched salt brands slowly over to Red Sea. I had forgotten that Red Sea also makes a Coral Pro salt and I had just gotten the regular Red Sea. I attribute this to my problems. My levels still stayed pretty good, however my pH was incredibly high at 8.5. I guess that pissed off a few select corals. I started noticing poccillopora polyps floating in my tank. UGH! My other SPS however are fine. My setosa and other tiny frags are fine. GO FIGURE! I did a water change yesterday with RC. Thank God I had some left.

I have barely any coralline algae on my rocks. I also had barely any in my 40 breeder. I thought it was because my tuxedo urchin ate it all. Anyone have any ideas why? This hobby can be so frustrating sometimes.

So, I lost my beautiful poccillopora colony Kevin gave me as a frag. I am really really sad about it. I also lost the new green Mille I got from Kevin. I had switched salt brands slowly over to Red Sea. I had forgotten that Red Sea also makes a Coral Pro salt and I had just gotten the regular Red Sea. I attribute this to my problems. My levels still stayed pretty good, however my pH was incredibly high at 8.5. I guess that pissed off a few select corals. I started noticing poccillopora polyps floating in my tank. UGH! My other SPS however are fine. My setosa and other tiny frags are fine. GO FIGURE! I did a water change yesterday with RC. Thank God I had some left.

I have barely any coralline algae on my rocks. I also had barely any in my 40 breeder. I thought it was because my tuxedo urchin ate it all. Anyone have any ideas why? This hobby can be so frustrating sometimes.

Hi Gina,

I'm sorry to hear about your frags. I hope it was nothing more than changing salt. I remember reading about folks loosing corals becasue of changing salts. I've been using IO since I started and tried Coralife once and had one heck of a cyano bloom. I hope every thing will settle down for you and this is just a glitch.

Thank you Chris. =( I think that will be the last time I try to switch salt. It was on sale, and I forgot they made a special coral formula. My fault of course. I will keep using RC. I thought if I possibly switched, I might start getting some coralline algae and possibly some better growth from my corals. Lesson learned. =(

Frankie has suggested I switch to Tropic marin pro for salt. Its supposed to be pretty good and helps keep the parameters closer in line I think.

Hi Chris,
It was my own damn fault. I am so $%*&)* pissed right now. I took my water to Kevin today so he could test it because everything I had previously tested was fine. My urchin looks pretty bad today so I knew something was going on that I could not identify. I found out that I should change my test kits once a year. Alkalinity, Calcium, Magnesium, etc. Everything was reading good on my end, but when Kevin tested Alk it came out to 7.4 which Kevin said was too low for Alk. My refractometer read 1.025, but it was really 1.022! I hope and pray I did not kill Pumpy the urchin. I am so depressed about it. Once again my fault. Lesson learned for me. :cry:

As promised....chunks my friends, chunks. I have had this skimmer running 1 week. Can you believe this production? I can't!

100_2503.jpg

100_2502.jpg

That is some dark skimmate!!! :eek:. O honestly can't remember ever seeing skimmate that dark!! That thing sure is working!!! :D

Kevin gave me a plan of action. I removed 2 quarts of water and mixed in 1/4 cup of salt in the water, then poured it back into my sump. I am supposed to do this every 12 hours until it reaches 1.025. I also added 8 oz of alk using BRS 2 part. Lets hope that this helps. Sorry I was so upset.

Krish-Yes, this skimmer kicks total butt!

Hi Chris,
It was my own damn fault. I am so $%*&)* pissed right now. I took my water to Kevin today so he could test it because everything I had previously tested was fine. My urchin looks pretty bad today so I knew something was going on that I could not identify. I found out that I should change my test kits once a year. Alkalinity, Calcium, Magnesium, etc. Everything was reading good on my end, but when Kevin tested Alk it came out to 7.4 which Kevin said was too low for Alk. My refractometer read 1.025, but it was really 1.022! I hope and pray I did not kill Pumpy the urchin. I am so depressed about it. Once again my fault. Lesson learned for me. :cry:

Hmm, why does that sound familiar??? Oh yeah, I know, I did the same thing :(. I hope it turns out ok. It looks like you already have a plan of action. Do you have any calibration solution for your refractometer?

Back