Finally Got my Liverock (Pic Intensive)

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

After deciding to scrub some of the Dead sponge off the rock I started in on the first tub... It wasnt too bad however the Unfortunate thing Is there is many small dead acropora colonies on the rock... It seemed like every other Piece there is a small - med size white Acro colony... Leaving them there but Its unfortunate that they couldnt have made the journey with the rock...

James

yeah who knows... I am just hoping the Curing process goes by quick... I wish I was able to get my skimmer and ozone on it somehow but thats not gonna happen... I did notice one of the Acros was a purplish color but I think it was coralline that was growing over the top of the Skeleton...

James

Was this a special "grade" of pukani, like "premium" or "ultra" or "show" or any of the several names I see out there? I am trying to figure out whether there is actually a difference in the rocks in the various classifications.

Also, how many pounds come per box. I'll be doing a 90 soon, and am not sure how much to get.

Thanks!

The rock was just normal Pukani... I think Pukani is pretty much Ultra grade rock as from what I hear its the Best... From looking at the rock IMO its the best that I have seen... very nice Sizes and shapes...

Each box is supposed to be 88lbs... I didnt weigh It personally but I trust that Its the Right amount... I would think 1 box would be plenty... You might think about buying 2 boxes and Cherry picking your pieces and selling off the rest...

James

James - have you planned out your aquascaping yet? LOL - I think I had my entire structure done in my head as soon as I saw the 2 large pieces that came with mine. It is really easy to cut up and create different shapes to make the 'scape you want. Are you going to use acrylic rods or anything to help with holding pieces together?

I have no Idea how I am going to Aquascape... I have actually Enlisted a few friends that Offered a while back and I am holding them to it... I am not too Creative at all... I try to be but it just wont happen...

As for Acrylic rods nah Probably wont use those... Will probably just try to stack the rocks... With the Shapes and stuff it shouldnt be too difficult... Considering a couple of these pieces are Rather Large as it is...

I cant believe it took be this long to sell off everything and say hell with it and start over... Of course my tank Is going to be pretty bare but hey Why not.. It will look better when its all Said and Done..

James

Ok I decided that I wasnt going to mess around... I went and picked up a 100g Rubbermaid Stock tub... Forget these garbage cans... It will be much better haveing it all in 1 large container... Since Its predrilled I can probably get my skimmer and Ozone hooked up to it towards the beginning of next week... Will take photos once I get the rock in..

James

Now this is how its done..

DSCF2044.sized.jpg

Now I also have a nice holding place for my fish while I am changing everything around..

James

I was going to put my huge 40" tall dual beckett on it but the bulkhead hole was a bit too big as of right now... I will probably get that and the Ozone going on it sometime next week... The water is pretty nasty yellow so I would like to get something on there pretty quick... I have an In sump model coming next week sometime that should work better... I really dont want to pull mine off my big tank.. just more work for me in the long run..

James

Ok well First water change is done... There goes 50g of some nasty yellow water... I am sure glad our tank water never gets that yellow/brown...

Anyways I am hoping that real soon this rock will be cycled and I can put it in...

I so didnt miss this waiting game..

James

That tub is a good idea, I think I'll get one of those when I get my rock so I can cure it in the garage.

Those are definately nice. I remember that color of water and the stench that came with it. Actually the first couple of water changes it was much more murky than that even :)

Ok I got Tired of waiting for my In sump skimmer to arrive so I went ahead and unhooked my DIY Huge 40" Dual beckett skimmer up to it... Can we say Skimming... LOL I also picked up an old Enlay 200mg/hr Ozone unit and dropped that thing on there as well... With the skimmer on there the Feed pump is a pcx100 so that added quite a bit of Circulation as well...

Lets see if I can get all this rock cured in a week from now with all this stuff going LOL..

DSCF2142.sized.jpg

James

WooooHoooo Ammonia is gone now... nitrites are at 2ppm though... Hopefully Those will be gone real quick too... I cant believe the skimmer was able to knock the ammonia down from 1.0 to 0 in less that 24hrs..

I was actually doing an Experiement with the Ozone... Wanting to see how much of a difference it would make with and Without it... I was able to Skim off about 2.5g of crud without the ozone since yesterday.. I just turned on the ozone today and will see how that goes..

James

Back