First Storm of the Year (PNW)

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

chadmace

Reef Tarded
Though this sounds like it will have a higher chance of impacting people in more wooded areas.... For those of you in these areas incase you are part of the majority of the US residents who pay zero attention to the news.

"KING 5 Meteorologist Jeff Renner says the storm doesn't appear to be packing the same punch as the December 14, 2006 windstorm that caused over 1 million power customers to lose their electricity, but winds will be getting up to the level to where there may be some power outages."

http://www.king5.com/topstories/stories/NW_101607WAB_wind_storm_preview_TP.179488a68.html

I'm planning on buying a generator however wont have the funds for another month.

Looks like I'll have the heat up at nights just incase.

I believe in the short term flow is your biggest concern, last year I lost a flame angel after only a couple hours without power. The temperature had not yet dropped significantly in the tank.

Also hopefully you all have suction breaks on the plumbing from your sump so that when the power goes out you will not have a flood. A suction break can be as simple as a hole drilled in the return plumbing just below the water level in your tank, test to insure when your pump is shut down and water starts siphoning back to the sump that this hole will draw air and break the siphon before your sump is full, can be scary the first time . . .I remember standing there chanting, please stop, please stop and it did!

Some of the tricks I remember reading about last year if you do not have a generator or some other means to run some of the equipment on your tank:

For flow :
Use a jug and pull out water and pour back in the tank, not sure how often this would need to be done it seems some people last year kept themselves warm through this chore.

For heat:
Wrap tank with a blanket, sleeping bag or insulating foam board to conserve the heat that is already in it.
One guy posted that he mixed de-icer with water in a milk jug after remember how warm the chemical reaction was and floated the jug in his tank.

I hope others will add their ideas or any tricks they recall being used last year. I am sure many who did not have reef tanks during last year storms haven't spent a lot of time thinking about how to keep everything alive in case of extended power outages.

I have a couple of generators I use and fortunately made it through last years storms without loss except for that flame angel. The power had went off just a couple hours before I needed to get up anyway and I thought everything would be fine, but it wasn't. Now I do not wait, when the power goes out I get the generator running, hopefully before long I will have a bigger generator that will run the whole house and auto start, for now I have a generator that is hooked into 6 circuits in the house and we move critical tank componants to run off those curcuits (one of those curcuits is the one with the pumps for my big tank, so I do not have to move much on that tank). The second generator is a smaller (and quieter) unit we use to run a pump and heater on each tank over night-It is hard to sleep with the big generrator running as it is right underneath our bedroom window (who planned that??)

When I had my 90 softy tank, used an inverter hooked up to either a portable battery and occasionally extension cord to the car. Ran a water pump and small heater. Kept tank alive as long as kept the room reletively warm most of the day.

Now that have the 180 SPS reef tank, couldn't even consider not having a generator. Was without power for over a week last windstorm.

This reminds me I need a new cord. Left it in the driveway one night and it must have grown legs.

Don

most people dont worry till its to late....

if you live in a area that loses power offten (1-3 times a year) you need to invest.

u dont know how nice it is to sit here on the the computer with the rest of the house silent... and the tank runing... like nothing ever happen...

the only thing that sux is that the lights turn off while the genarator fires up...

simple hole house APC would fix that... but.. wowa

If you have the money! The boxes are $100 to $500 each for a small home unit and the electricians charge too. Ask Don to modify our generators for propane or NG and hook up transfer boxes for us. He must have a spare couple grand laying around for a good cause:lol::lol::lol:

Back