Frag Jackpot!!!!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

RTN, rapid tissue necrosis. Sounds like what you were describing the tissue falling off the millepora colony. RTN is what sps corals do when they are stressed.

RTN, rapid tissue necrosis.
RTN is what expensive encrusting Monti corals do when they are transported to my tank. The only one so far that has made it, is the brown algae covered superman I bot from Colleen at the swap meet (a previous door prize). It is starting to turn blue again. How many months does this take? :lol: :lol: :lol:

"Nothing good happens fast in this hobby"
(have had very good luck with every other sps, acro and Monti's alike)

my lfs has a big acro colony that is dying..it is about 1/2 dead..i am going to see if i can get it for $10 or so..they have it in an algae infested tank under pc lights..it has been there for like 2 weeks dying!!!

i am talking about one here in La where i am alot of the time..when i am back in town, i go to Fish Biz in Ft Walton..i don't really buy from them that much though..i have noticed that Petland has added alot of SW fish and corals in the past year...normally, Petland is high on stuff, but the prices weren't that bad this past week when i visited!!!! where are you at in Destin????

Last edited:
Twin Lakes. You? Yeah, I go to Petland and Niceville Pets some. My parents live in Birmingham and there is a guy up there who has a frag warehouse. Great deals when I am in town.

i was living on Primrose , a block or two behind Nightown....i am in La for a bit right now..i come home every few weeks...i stay with friends or family in the Ft or Navarre...

I think that would be everyones dream come true to have that happen you really did luck out on that one lol. I would kill to have someone around here keep that many frags let alone give them away!!!

i know...i couldn't find anyone locally and then his name just came up when i was talking to one of my lfs owners

well, i tried to get a good deal the other day on the acro colony at my lfs...they had it marked for $60..she said i could have it for $50, which i still had to pass on...i went to check on it today..it was completely dead..it had algae growing on it already...there was an acro crab in it though..i told them i would come take the crab before they threw out the coral..i am going to go get it tomorrow..i didn't have time to get it today..this is the 2nd acro they have lost in 2 weeks because nobody wants to pay that much for them and the reef tank at the lfs can't sustain them..they have some old pc's..they also bought several huge carpet anemone's..they are all on the brink of dying..their guts are hanging out...

I hate LFS's that do not care for sps corals. Do they think not giving them the environment to thrive in is going to help them sell them. Ron, I almost glad you didn't get it cause I would of hated for it to introduce anything even to your QT tank. You never know what the colonies are carrying and trying to salvage even 1 frag isn't worth the price of something bad getting into the system. Hope you can get the acro crab.

thanks Sue....my qt tank only has softies in it now..i had to put all the sps frags in my display..i am looking to get a few more sps frags now, maybe some purple acro's or something..i will be qt'ing and dipping all new additions, as i did with my previous ones

well i went back to get the acro crab today, and to my surprise, there were a few polyps out on the acro..the colony is turning brown, but it still has life in it...they gave it to me..i put it directly under my VHO's on my qt tank..it is as far up as i can get it..i didn't want to chance putting it in my display..i will give it a few weeks, dip it, then add it to the display if it is doing better by then...alot m ore polyps have opened just since i put it in my qt tank!!!! they bought another acro this week..maybe i can get that one in a week or so when it is deteriorating:badgrin:

they gave it to you for free ?????
wwouu that nice :p .
well it's nice to get free stuff specially from an lfs (i'm not that lucky :p), but still i think it's sad that they're gonna order another one and then you're gonna wait until it's almost dead.... kind of like playing poker if you ask me :p:D .

yeah, it sucks that they let them almost die...i may be able to get this one back to life though..it has quite a few polyps out right now...i seriously doubt that they will sell the other one..i will check every few days..i can at least trade something for it when it starts looking bad

i trade them leather frags, random polyp rock frags, and mushrooms...i couldn't get rid of them, so i decided to just grow tons of them and trade them...here are some pics of the acro i got today(w/ 2 acro crabs in it!!!) the tips are brown, but i think it will pull through!!:rolleyes:

Last edited:
kewl dood :)..if you can't beat them then trade them :D.

you know for a moment i thought i was gonna see a almost bleached and horrible looking coral but that doesn't look to bad :p....but then again i wear glasses .

it looked really bad in the tank at the lfs..i thought it was dead yesterday!!!!

Back